Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Computer does not power down properly

Hi Guys,
    Ok the problem:

This does not happen on all occations but when I shut down my computer it does not power down properly. Windows XP does shut down and save its settings an dthe hard drive goes off, but the power is still going to the computer, not the ussual, i.e. all the fans are on and that etc.

I can turn it off via the power button , but any ideas on how to fix this, ive checked the BIOS settings and the power management in control panel, these are both fine.

I did have trouble with my computer earlier and the problem has stopped and this has taken over, however as I said it doesnt not happen always!

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Heres the link to me previous post about the problem if it helps at all!
    http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...topic/t,18693/

Hi Jigsaw - Try 'Start'>'Control Panel'>Double click 'Power Options'>'Advanced' tab. Make sure power button is assigned to shutdown. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

See if the link below is helpful.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Yeah I tried the first suggestion as I said in my post, havinga look at the link suggested now. Thanks for the replys

Hi yeah tried all the ones on the site, I though one had worked but it had not. It only seems to cuur once the computer ahs been on for more than several hours.

The most common problems here are:bios,upgrading from2000 to xp. and stand by mode on dell.I dont' have an answer there so manny referances to it during a search.Did you go to the dell site to see if you can up grade the bios.

Hi I didnt get me computer form dell, the graphics cards are out of a dell comp, there are no problems with these atall these have been tested in other machines as well.

Default MAY HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!

Ok guys Ive had another look and my VCore is failing, I saw this before an dthen it seemed to stop but obviously it is failing. The only thing Imw ondering when going over things is about the power supply i was told that it was fine when I shows the guy in the shop the manual and gave a list of my specs. However I not so sure my manual says I need 20A 5v and 12v current and a minimum of 400w. Mine is 650w and has the 12v and 24 pin connection etc, I can see where it says about the 5v though. Could someone explain what the 5v is for and if they think this could be the cause of all my problems.

Hi managed to find a link on overclockers to the one the guy in the shop sold me:

http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=14103

If any one could tell me what voltage my cpu should hav aswell that would help, i think ines reading 1.08 or something.

Hi - The lower voltages usually power 'circuits', the 12V would power fans and drives (5V for floppy). Regards.

EDIT: This is a bit of power supply info I previously posted elsewhere -

A certain amount of + or - is acceptable. Typically, at the moment, I can't recall precise tolerances but I'm fairly sure you are ok.
    Too low a voltage is unlikely to cause any damage but will certainly result in corruption of data. Too high a voltage, beyond acceptable tolerances, gives the same corruption problems and eventually chips get fried . I'll try and dig out the precise figures on the voltage. Regards

Found it 5V = + or - 5% = 4.75V-5.25V
    12V = + or - 10% = 10.8V-13.2V
    So, your 5V is pretty borderline. You could by a new PSU and still get the same outputs, and if you did I believe it would not be recognised by a supplier as 'faulty' because it would fall within the recognised tolerances. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast