Default Boot Sequence issues? Maybe virus related?

Obviously I'm new and could use some help... I'm used to car forums where I would get flamed for stupid questions but as the Sig says I'm not a computer expert. I know enough to get around and run my company but thats about it...

Anyway on to the problems I'm running into.

Not too long ago I got a virus that seems to have been going around. It's the trojan (I think) that loads "Spyfalcon" onto your computer. Windows then gives you the "your computer is infected" popup in the bottom left hand corner and another popup I can't remember.

I did everything to get rid of this virus... Updated my AVG virus protection, ran spybot, AVG, Norton, and even tried all this in safe mode as well... One day my AVG updates itself like it normally does on startup and it finds a Trojan virus and I delete it. It automatically restarted the computer and everything was fine for about a week.

At this point something was wrong with the bootup sequence I'm assuming. It was giving me the following response over and over past the Toshiba Screen: " Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082) Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation. For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326) PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable. PXE-M0F:Exiting PXE ROM."

Now If I attach an ethernet cable I get the following response:
    " Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082) Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation. For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326). CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 0F B0 65 B9 4F GUID: 5F492451-95A2-11D9-9A24-000FB065B94F DHCP (then it looks like I'm processing then I get this...) PXE-E53: No boot filename received PXE-M0F:Exiting PXE ROM."

I'm sure this is more than enough info to get some gears turning so to speak... But even so... I ran my system reboot disk to restore the whole system and hard drive to default setting to try to get past it all that way effectively wiping out over 5 gigs of music and about 15gigs worth of company advertisement videos and track racing video only to still have this problem.

Also my roomate fixed the issue but it only worked for a day... Of course this is the same guy who is "Microsoft certified" but has effectively crashed my computer 6 times trying to make my computer faster and deleting registry files. But anyway any help you guys can offer I'd appreciate it... And try to keep it all in a somewhat noob/computer illiterate explanation if possible or if anyone is really board I'm on AIM under Crazyj1578 if someone could walk me through it.

Thanks again!

John

Oh yeah it's a toshiba satelite M35X-S163... That may help a bit... Maybe? :lol:

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Since you've already deleted your data, try repairing/reinstalling as per these instructions http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repai...s-XP-t138.html . Keep us posted

Member Help2Go Moderator

No worries about the PXE. That is just an option that your BIOS gives booting from a network so you can use thing like RIS (Remote installation services). It enables you to install an OS from the network or even load an OS into memory to run an OS (like windows or linux) from your RAM, sort of like a Linux Live CD. It's easily disabled in your BIOS setup.

Partieā„¢

I did everything to get rid of this virus... Updated my AVG virus protection, ran spybot, AVG, Norton, and even tried all this in safe mode as well... One day my AVG updates itself like it normally does on startup and it finds a Trojan virus and I delete it.
    The programs you used will not get rid of spyfalcon. Suggest that you post a HJT in our spware forum, please read and follow everything here:

Announcement: Browser hijacks, spyware problems: read this BEFORE posting
    http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...wtopic/t,9709/

If you decide to try and remove it, please start a new topic in that forum.

BG