Default Java2SE & Firefox problem

Hello everyone.

We have a problem with Firefox but only if the J2SE applet is shown in the task bar.
    Java was downloaded and installed using Firefox.

We finish on a site that requires Java and close Firefox.
    The coffee cup icon remains in the task bar even when we disconnect from the net.

If we then reconnect and try to open Firefox a message appears saying, Firefox is already running and must be closed or the system must be restarted. When we check the task manager it shows no applications running.

The Java web site tells us that we have the latest version installed and running properly, but we cannot see the Duke icon dancing.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

We did all the stuff suggested on the page.
    If we goto ControlPanel>Java>Advanced>tag support
    and click the Mozilla and Netscape box permission is refused.

Firefox is upto date and Java is enabled. We never have the same problem with I.E.6.

Any ideas?

Thank you from joonspoon
    Guess who's helping me to type?!!! :roll:

XP SP2, Firefox with I.E.6 as default browser, all updated etc.

This post has been edited by Mum. Thanks Canuck! 8)

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Not sure if this will solve the problem, but we can try. Start> Run> type in msconfig > Startup tab. Scroll down to jusched and uncheck the box next to it. Check and see if there may be other Java entries, usually not. Very few things need to be running here, virus program, firewall and perhaps one or two others. If you want, give us a list of items with a check mark and we can advise.> OK. A window will open, select restart> After windows opens again, a config information window will open, check the box that says 'to not show window again' >OK. This does not delete the program, it just stops it from running in the background when Windows opens and frees up some RAM. This should at least get rid of the icon in the taskbar.

Let us know how this goes.

Note to joonspoon's mom. There is no need for explanations, I think most of our regulars figured as much. It's a real pleasure to help you both. :wink:

I have had similar experiences with Firefox in the past. Don't know what causes it, but if you open the Task manager and click on the processes tab, you will find a firefox.exe running. Highlight it and click on end process. you will then be able to restart it. Charlie

hello evrybody
    we did your stuff canuck and the icon has not there again
    and to charlie noboddy at home looked for that.exe in the porcess bit of taskmanger
    thankyou from joonspoon

Thank you zep.
    Having read through the page you offered we think we understand things a little better.
    Regards from joonspoon. 8)

Thank you!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

One annoying aspect of java is it does not remove older installations nor does it install over older installations. One can end up with several installations all mished mashed.
    Before installing remove all older versions via add/remove.
    If you are having problems now I suggest you uninstall every version you can find and install one fresh copy.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.