Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cursor

Default cursor

For no apparent reason the cursor is darting all over the screen.
    The only thing that has been introduced to the computor is this years McAfee suite. I did uninstall the previous McAfee prior to installing this one & there was'nt any problem doing this. Any idea's please.

Have you tried another mouse ? Could be a broken cable, in it.

BG

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Make sure the mouse is securely plugged in, that you clean it (take the ball out if it's the ball type clean it and contacts, if optical, clean the underneath). Has the cord been damaged? And finally download the latest driver for it. You can try using it on another PC .. if it works OK then it's probably driver or a damaged window file. Keep us posted.

Thanks guys,
    I have done these checks, mouse is optical & all is clean, this problem is spasmodic, I can go a couple of weeks and nothing, then I get a day like today, where it's a nats whisker from becoming airborne.
    The other problem that has occured is on the google site, the bar at the base of the screen is now five time the size, only giving me a small percentage of viewing screen. (see attachment). How do I fix this.
    I know what a cluts..........I can't help it I'm useless with these things.

That's funny ... there are no grey bars on top or bottom of google page .. whole page is white. Are you having any problems with other windows? How old is your monitor? Please give make and model also make and model of your mouse. The only other thing that comes to mind right now is, turn your PC off and unplug from power outlet. Open the tower (touch the side of tower to discharge any static before going in). If it's really dusty, suggest you buy a can of compressed air and blow it clean. Now, make sure all the cards are seated well (thay may have come loose over time) and that the cords to mouse and monitor are snug.

Keep us posted.

Computors fine apart from this, monitor is only six months old, same with the rest of the system. I'm not having any other problems with windows. The two problems that I have mentioned only started a couple of days after I loaded the McAfee firewall & virus scan 2006 from disc.
    I did the turning off bit, checked cables etc etc.

Have a try at System Restore. Restore to a date before loading McAfee. This won't delete McAfee, but it may restore a file that was changed. If this doesn't work, go back in to restore and restore to the latest point and then try uninstalling McAfee and see what happens. After uninstalling you could go through the chkdsk procedure: Start> Run> type in chkdsk /f (note the space between the k and /) >OK. A window will open and may say something like ' chkdsk cannot run now, but next time you reboot it will on startup' > Y for yes >Enter. Now reboot your PC and let chkdsk check for damaged windows files and fix them.

Will get back to you tomorrow with results of your sugestion. Thanks

Hi Canuck,

Took your advice all seems ok now, I have been using the system most of the day doing invoicing etc.
    The only problem that it did'nt cure was the google page margins. I can't seem to fix this. Any one with idea's? Please...

I have completly cleaned and reinstalled mozilla firefox...guess what.... I still have lost 25% of my screen. Wanadoo and the rest of my front pages are ok.

Hi innkeeper - Can you 'stretch' it with the controls on the monitor? If you can get a make/model/serial number for the monitor (it may be on a label on the back) we can probably be more precise about the instructions. Longshot this - would degaussing help? This may be an option in the menu that you (may) have to alter the screen image. I do know that when my monitor needs degaussing whites turn a slight shade of grey and straight lines become slightly curved. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast