Default insufficient memory effecting startup?

I downloaded a movie onto my hard drive and noticed I only had 100mb of space left. I turned my computer off. The next time I tried to use the computer it tries to start (I see the Windows XP startup page just before the user login page), but goes to a black/white page saying something happened and I can choose to 'start normally', 'safe mode', 'last available good start'. When I select one of these options, after about 30 seconds it just loops back to this page again.

I'm fairly confident it's due to insufficient memory but what can I do so that I may get to my desktop and free up memory?

Is that what the screen say's somthing happened?How many movie's have you downloaded?How big is the hard drive? How much ram do you have.

at startup it says "your computer did not shut down properly". I have downloaded several large movies in the past and stored them on hard drive. 16G and 256k. As I mentioned last time I shut off computer (which I did with no problems) my C drive had <100mb of space left. I did get a message saying 'drive space low' but figured I'd deal with that at a future time.

Well Matt the future is hear,Time to clean up hard drive.Remove the stuff your not using.You can also use the the tools in windows under programs\acc\system\tools\scan disk\cleandisk\defrag\ When running Defrag you will want to run it in safe mode. Freeing up disk space type that into google see what you get.