Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safe Mode

Default Safe Mode

Hi All,
    I have a PC running Win XP Home Edition and I have somehow managed to Lose the CD-Rom drive from my computer.I've checked in 'My Computer' but I don't see the Drive there.
    Someone suggested that I start the computer in Safe Mode and delete the CD-Rom from the Device Manager and then reboot to have it reinstall itself.
    Is this likely to happen? If so how do I start in Safe Mode??
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    roconnor UK

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Yes it can and does happen with XP ... I don't see the need to do this in Safe Mode however, but if you want to, you boot up and as soon as boot up starts, start tapping the f8 key. A window will open .. you need to use the arrow key to select Safe Mode and then the Enter key to activate it. The screen when opened, will look very different to what you're used to, this is because Safe Mode runs with the minimum number of programs and features. You should be able to access the Device driver as you've mentioned and uninstall the driver. Then reboot and you'll return to the regular windows view.

Default Safe Mode

Hello Canuck,
    Thanks for your reply,you mentioned that I don't have to do this in 'Safe Mode'. Do I understand you to mean that I can go straight to 'The Device' Manager' , delete theCD -Rom drive, reboot my PC and it should reappear?
    Please forgive my lack of knowledge, the extent of my computer skills amounts to turning the machine on & off !!!!
    sincerely,
    roconnor

Hi roconnor - Yes, you can go straight into Device Manager to do this without using Safe Mode.Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Default Safe Mode

Good Morning Galena1,
    I have in fact already uninstalled and rebooted my PC. Unfortunately there is still no sign of my CD-Rom drive.I checked the 'Device Manager' and the CD-Rom Drive is there but it has a yellow exclamation mark over it???
    Not being computer literate,I haven't any idea what this means.
    Many Thanks,
    roconnor

Hi - Follow the previous steps only instead of 'uninstall' select 'update driver'. A Wizard will open. Check the box next to 'yes, this time only' and then click 'Next'. Follow the instructions. Do you know the make/ model of your CDROM?. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Hi - If you don't have the details of the CDROM -
    Go here - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    and download and run this free program. It will produce a system report.
    Under the heading 'Drives' will be, hopefully, make/model of your CDROM

EDIT - In Device Manager right click the CDROM, then 'Properties'. Work your way through the various tabs. Is an error detailed anywhere, with a number?

Regards

Default Safe Mode

Hello Galena 1,
    I tried your suggestion re the wizard. I clicked the box next to 'Yes this time only'. A new box opened 'Install The Software Automatically'
    I clicked to accept this and received the following message 'The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed'.
    I then went into the 'Device Manager' and clicked on the properties box
    It gave me the model of the CD-Rom i.e NECDVD_RW-2510A and the device status as follows:Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device [Code 41]
    I also Downloaded the Belarc software you suggested and the CD-Rom is shown in the 'Drives' section of the computer's profile.
    Many Thanks,
    roconnor

Hi - Do you have Roxio or other cd burning software?

Default Safe mode

Hi Galena1,
    Thanks for your very prompt replies.
    I've just had a trawl through my programmes and there would appear to be something called Sonic Ver.7 installed,although i've never used it.
    Is this the sort of programme you are looking for?
    roconnor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast