Default 300GB Hard Drive Now 130GB

I'm using a maxtor diamondmax SATA 300Gig Hard Drive, but when i upgraded to a new motherboard it will only register as 131Gig but on my previous motherboard i had all 300gig. i upgraded to a lanparty ut ultra-D motherboard and could really do with my memory back, can anyone help?
    i have tried reformatting and upgrading to windows XP SP2 to no avail.

right click my computer and then select 'manage'

in the next window select 'disk management'

look for the drive on the list, here you should be able to delete partitions and format the drive.

some mother boards/bios won't support hard drives that are over certain sizes. Your best bet is to email the motherboard manufacturer and see if they know of any difficulties with drives over 130gigs that happen with that motherboard
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Hi kallax - Whilst you are at the motherboard manufacturers site check for a BIOS update. I had similar query myself recently re hard drives and the original BIOS would only handle, as Mich has said, drives up to 130+ Gb. The newer BIOS fixed this problem. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

just checked in the bios, and it regesters it at 300gig. but in windows its now down to 127gig.

and did you check the disk in the disk management?

If the drive has been partitioned there is a good chance that it was split into 2 parts, one being the 131gig that you have and a space next to it that will need formatting etc.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Check this maxtor FAQ http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m...i=&p_topview=1 I used option 1 for the same problem as you.