Default Reload Win XP from other CD

I cannot find my Dell Win XP home CD and was wondering if I can install Win XP using my daughters Dell disk but with my product key code (it is on the side of the computer. I tried to reload it from the hidden partition using CTRL + F11 but I don't seem to be able to do it. It is a fairly new Dell Dimension 4600 that came from the factory already loaded and when it gave me the Blue Screen of Death, the answer seemed to be to reload the OS.

Should be able to for maybe 30 days, after that it will cease to work.

A BSOD doesn't mean that the operating system has to be reinstalled.

Does it ever boot/work anymore?

BG

Default trying to recover my OS

It just goes to the Dell screen and then flashes briefly "ndetect failed" then restarts again....over and over again

Should be able to for maybe 30 days, after that it will cease to work..

...does that mean the Dell disk from my daughter will load, but my computer will cease to work after 3o days?

do you know how to get the OS from the hidden drive? The help screens at Dell say to push CTRL and F11 when the Dell screen is up, but nothing happens.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Contact Dell for a replacemnt CD. They will charge for it.
    When you do get it make a copy and keep that is a safe off site place.
    Oh the recovery disk detects the system number and will only work with that system.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Member Help2Go Moderator

If you're getting the message "NTDetect missing or corrupt" just download the .zip attached to this post. Once downloaded, extract the files by right clicking and selecting "extract all" (only for windows xp, unless you have another utility like winzip). There will be a file called "boot.exe" double click it and make sure to have a floppy in the drive when you double click it. After it's finished reboot the "broken" computer with the floppy in it and XP should load.

Partieā„¢

Default found problem

According to Dell, if you try to reload from a CD, it destroys the hidden file and you can no longer use it. They gave me a link to instructions on how to use my daughters CD and reload the system. It seems to be doing well, except the onboard NIC does not work and I had to install a PCI NIC to use. One interesting thing was, it never asked me for my Product Code. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

You need to reload the driver for the onboard NIC. It may be included with any CDs that came with the computer, or you can download it from DELL. You'll need to use their instructions for installation as DELL does things it own way. Charlie