Default Search and run options missing

I am trying to help a friend with her computer. The search option and the run option are missing from her start menu.How do we get them back? Her computer is an e-machine with windows XP service pack 2. Intel(R) celeron(tm)cpu-1200 MHZ-1.20 GHZ.
    Compaq Presario -Desktop PC-Windows 7 Home Premium AMD Athlon (tm) II X2 215 processor 2.70 GHz 3.00 GB RAM 64 bit operating system

Hi sue - Have you tried a 'System Restore'?

'Start'>'All Programs'>'Accessories'>'System Tools'>'System Restore'.
    'Restore my computer to an earlier time' is selected by default>'Next'.
    Select one of the bold dates on the calendar (start with the most recent date before the problem was noticed)>'Next'. Follow the instructions.
    You may need to repeat the procedure if the first 'Restore' fails to rectify the problem. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If that doesn't work, go to Start >Run >type in sfc /scannow note the space between the c and / >OK. This should repair any damaged windows files.

Right click the Start button, click Properties, on the Start Menu tab click Customize, now click Advanced, scroll down towards the bottom and ckeck Run command and Search. Now click OK. Let us know if this resolves the problem.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Default Problem fixed

I did a system restore and the missing commands are back! My friend thanks you all and so do I.
    Compaq Presario -Desktop PC-Windows 7 Home Premium AMD Athlon (tm) II X2 215 processor 2.70 GHz 3.00 GB RAM 64 bit operating system

Your welcome, I'm glad to hear your friends problem is resolved. Thank you for letting us know the solution that worked for you.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.