Default Computer will not boot

O.K. All don't laugh too hard.

My mother in-law said that she had a few problems with the computer and asked me to take a look at it.

Running Windows XP Home and the McAfee that came with the system a year ago just recently expired.

I uninstalled McAfee and downloaded AVG and Zonealarm. Just before Zonealarm finished instaling AVG came up with a virus detection, which I ignored to let Zonealarm finish installing. After ignoring the AVG message several times. Windows poped up with the message

"bcmwltry.exe - Unable to locate component"

It pops up about evey second and the computer will shut down but upon start up (regular or safe mode) it will only get to the wall paper with no desktop icons and no start menu or taskbar. During the entire boot up windows flashes this same error over and over.

How can I get around this message into the system files and fix this problem?

Am I going to be subject to ridicule from my mother in law for the rest of my life. Any help would be apprectiated

Are you sure that you have the correct spelling ? Here is what that entery should mean:

bcmwltry.exe is the tray bar process for the Broadcom Corporation Wireless Network software
    Does she have the operating system disks ?

Can you get into the start up/BOIS set up OK ?

BG

Yes, I have the setup disks and I can get into setup and Bios. That is how I figured out that it does the same thing in safe mode.

Going to move this to the PC Help forum.

BG