Default Help! Installed new hard drive now system is unstable

Hi guys,

I bought that maxtor 250gig7200 rpm internal hard drive for my inspirion 9300. I set the jumper to slave (actually, to put it to slave, you don't set the jumper, you just take away the little jumper pin.). I connected the internal to one of those usp to IDE connectors. And, I also had connected my other external 12Gig Hard drive. I did all this witht he computer off.
    My plan was to have both going and then to copy the info from the 12 Gig drive to the 250 gig drive.
    So, I started uyp the computer and everything started normally. I clicked on My COmputer and then the C drive and then I got some error message and if I wanted to send error reprt to Microsoft. I clicked no. I did the process over again and I saw my C drive and my F drive(the 12 Gig drive), but not the 250 Gig drive.
    So, I restarted the computer. This time, I got some blue screen stating that"if this is the first time seeing this screen then reboot your computer. Otherwise, I have to do something with the Bios! There were more readings which I didnt understand).
    So, I had to do a hard restart to turn off my computer. It started up again, but this time, I got n svchost.exe Application error. It said that the instruction 0X6C010020 referenced memory at 0X6C010020. The memory could not be "written" CLick ok to terminate the program. Click on Cancel toi debug the program.
    I clicked on terminate and then I restarted computer.
    So I turned on computer again. This time, it loaded up, but I got a warning from Norton Antivirus stating that some DLL could not be found and loaded. So Norton Antio virus was disabled.
    So, I restarted computer. This time, I got the same message from norton and now my spysweeper cannot find its definitions file.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that at one time, I got a mesage from windows stating that it was shutting itself down to protect itself and then there was a 1 minute countdown timer in which time I could save any unsaved work.
    So, I have no idea what went wrong.
    All this from attaching a new hard drive.
    Or do you think my computyer has been infected, but I dont think so becase this all started after I attached the hard drive to my computer.
    I have not done a system restore yet as I am awaiting from any assistance from you guys. Now, I did look at the Maxtor instructions and it did say to go into the BIOS after installing the hard drive and go to the auto detect IDE/Hard drive. Well, I dont see tha option. Then it said if I don't se that option, then I should eenter CMOS setup. I dont see that either.
    So, I dosconnected the 250 Gig drive and now, juts waiting for advice from one of you guys.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Update:
    I restarted computer.
    Chkdsk started automatically.
    It said something like
    Deleting corrupt file record segment at 24853, 24869, 25861

Things were going so fast and that was all I was able to copy down.
    But, it finished its check and fixed everything according to the messsage.
    So, I rebotted computer and still having same problem.

I started up computer and hit F12 for diagnostics. O ran a basic diagnostic of my computer and I got this:

Error Code: 2F00:0119
    msg: system memory failure. Read 00800000h, expected 00800000h at address 103135F4h. Suspected memory component located on system board at Dimm _B.
    Now, a few days ago, I replaced 1 256MB Dim with a 1Gig Ram.
    SO in my computer, I have a 1Gig Ram(from Newegg.com) and 1 256MB Ram (Came with computer).
    I am going to switch out the 1Gig ram with the Dell ram I took out and see whast happens

Latest update:
    I replaced the 1 Gig Ram with the Dell Ram and now, everything works fine.
    IT looks like 1 or more of the memory modules on that Ram was bad.
    How weird. It was new.
    So, I am going to RMA that module for another one.
    BOb

Glad you got it sorted out. If the new hard drive is in an external enclosure and hooked up through the USB port, I think it should be set as master. Check any documentation that came with the enclosure. Charlie