Default “How to Repartition Hard Drive without Reformatting.”

Hello! I have just joined after finding your article “How to Repartition Hard Drive without Reformatting.” I know nothing about Linux, I found your article while trying to find a way to create a D drive on a WinServer2003 unit that was formatted with the entire hard drive as the C drive. There is plenty of space available, I just don’t want to go through the hassle of offloading the data and rebuilding the box if I can find a better way.

I got as far as the logon root/root. At that point the screen displayed several lines of info, ending with a red root@tty1[~]# which I assume is a command prompt. I did a little searching and found a post that said I should type startx, then Enter. Again several lines of info displayed, apparently referring to a system crash, and again the red root@tty1[~]# prompt. That is as far as I got, I never got to the red MEPIS screen.

What should I do?

It is possible that MEPIS doesn't have a driver for something on your system. Try \knoppix Linux- available here: http://www.knoppix.org/ (click on the flag to get it in English). Boot from the Cd, then run QT parted- the same partitioning program that comes with MEPIS, so the directions should be the same from there. To get to QTparted, click on the K gear wheel in the lower left, then move the mouse to system, then click on QTParted. Charlie

That worked. After rebooting, the server ran a checkdisk, rebooted, flashed a message that it found new hardware, then rebooted again. I formatted the newly-freed space, rebooted again just to check that all was well, and the server came up working and formatted just as I wanted it to be. Thanks!