Default Can not receive mail using Outlook Express and AVG

Hi

I am using Windows XP and Outlook Express 6.0.

I have the paid version of AVG installed and it scans all of my incoming and outgoing mail.

I have not changed a thing and all of a sudden my OE will not let me receive mail. I can go to web mail and read my messages though.

This is the error message I get:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Annette', Server: 'pop.swbell.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 5200, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

One other thing. The account that will not work is my default account. I have another account that still works fine.

I tried uninstalling the inbox and that didn't work.
    I got on the phone with SBC Yahoo's customer service forever and they couldn't fix it.
    I bought a registry cleaner and ran it and fixed the problems it found but it still is not working.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks
    Annette

the only thing to suggest would be to double, triple, and quadruple check your account information.

incoming mail server, outgoing mail server, log in, password, authentication required on the server etc. etc. etc.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Thanks but I have done all that. I even deleted and readded my account. I just don't understand why it would stop working all of a sudden. I scanned for virues and spyware too.

Since you have the paid version I recommend you contact AVG support. Please see the link below.

http://tinyurl.com/fgkvo
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

I tried that too. I ended up uninstalling AVG's scanner because nothing they tried worked. I changed all of my settings in OE back to what they were before I was using AVG. Still get the same darn error message.

I wonder if there is a way to uninstall and reinstall outlook. I tried going to add/remove programs and couldn't find it. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate you trying to help.

If anyone else has any suggestions I will try anything at this point. I'm really frustrated that nothing I am trying is working and I have been trying basically all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nett1121
    I wonder if there is a way to uninstall and reinstall outlook. I tried going to add/remove programs and couldn't find it. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate you trying to help.
    See if this helps

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.