Default Dell (M-Systems) USB Flash Memory Driver

Geez I'm having some problems lately...

I bought 2 Flash Memory Keys, One for my new Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook, and one for my wife's Toshiba Satellite Notebook...

Mine goes in the Dell perfectly... Win XP recognised it, found the driver, installed it, created an 'E' drive in the 'My Computer' folder for it, even NAMED it and put an icon on my desktop to access it...

Different story with the Toshiba. It couldn't find a driver (this is using Win98se). After an extensive search on the net I find www.m-systems.com where you can download the Win 98 driver.

I downloaded it and installed it, the installer said that the installation was successful. It installed to C:\Program Files\M-Systems\DiskOnKey as default. In that folder are the drivers and a'Safe Eject' Exe.

HOWEVER - I can't figure out how to actually ACCESS the Flash Drive! There is no 'E' drive, no icon on the desktop or anything. In the 'My Computer' folder there is only Floppy (A), (C) Drive, and (D) Drive being the CD-ROM.

How do I access the Flash Drive in the USB port!?

Cheers

Hi Jonollie - Have you tried - Turn off the pc (I know this shouldn't be necessary) Insert the memory stick and turn on the pc and see if it finds it. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

There are some differences, I have found, between 98se and the original 98. If you have 98 se, probably need a driver of 98se. Win98Gold drivers may not work.

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Basementgeek
    There are some differences, I have found, between 98se and the original 98. If you have 98 se, probably need a driver of 98se. Win98Gold drivers may not work.

BG
    The one I downloaded is for Win 98se. It's not the driver that is the issue. It's the fact that no drive is created (E:/) and I can't access the flash drive.

I assume their is no entry in the device manager for it either and you know for a fact that the USB port does work. Also that you have tried the "other" USB pen.

Still sounds like a driver problem to me. The driver you loaded could be the wrong one, it could be a faulty install of it or corrupted. I would for another driver.

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Basementgeek
    I assume their is no entry in the device manager for it either and you know for a fact that the USB port does work. Also that you have tried the "other" USB pen.

Still sounds like a driver problem to me. The driver you loaded could be the wrong one, it could be a faulty install of it or corrupted. I would for another driver.

BG
    Both pens...same issue. The entry in the device manager says "Dell USB Memory Key". I've tried other drivers...same issue.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You may need special drivers to use the flash drives on Win98. They were not included in this version of windows because they didn't exist then.
    MS has updates, if you can find them these days, that included the driver or else go to the maker's site for the driver.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.