Default Advancing drive letter assignment

I am running Windows XP home edition, when I connect my digital camera (or thumb drive) to the USB port I find that the assigned drive letter advances to the next letter, IE; E to F, and will continue to do so until the alphabet is used up. This started several days ago, and to the best of my knowledge nothing changed in the machine around this time frame. I need to download photos on a daily basis in my business, and the only way I have been able to make things work is to do a system restore to the day prior to this condition showing up, and then repeat the process when I'm up to Z again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Robert E Lee
    Rochester, MN

That's odd, the only thing I can think of is try using the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the task bar before unplugging the camera or thumb drive. This may or may not help, maybe others here will have some suggestions for you.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Al

Hmmm...interesting...

Try this next time you plug in your thumb drive:

Click Start>>Run. In the box, enter "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes). Then click OK.

You'll see a list of drives including your hard drive and CD or DVD drives. Your flash drive will also show in the list when it's plugged in. Right-click it and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths." Then click the Change button.

You'll see a small drop-down menu that allows you to pick a new letter for the flash drive. Change the letter to whatever you want. After you have chosen a letter, click OK. Then click OK or yes on the next windows as well. Hopefully this will lock it in to its own drive letter.

-Good luck

Is this PC on 24/7 ?

May be turning it off once in a while will release the unused drive letters.

BG

---No I have not been using the Safely Remove Hardware icon, however I find that when I do use it the drive letter still continues to advance with the next connection of the camera or thumb drive.

---I have tried to go into disk management and change the drive letter, however only the remaining drive letters are available, unable to assign drive "E" as an example.

---Yes, this machine is on 24/7, and I find that by doing a power cycle it will release the unused drives and come up with drive "E" the first time the camera or thumb drive is connected. But will still advance to the next drive letter at the next connection.

Maybe you could try updating or uninstalling/reinstalling USB drivers, fixed a USB problem I had (not the same though).

---I went to Computer Management, clicked on Device Manager and the clicked the + on the left of Universal Serial Bus controllers and then did an uninstall on the USB Mass Storage Device. When I then connected the camera it found and loaded new hardware, but still continues to advance the drive letter assignment!!