Default Help making mp3 files smaller...

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm wanting to upload my mp3 files onto myspace but they are to large in formatt. Is there a way or a good program to use that will decrease them in size? I'm trying to get them converted to under 2.0mb if possible. :?:

I'd appreciate any and all feedback
    think you can, think you can't...either way you're right

MP3 files are already compressed, further compression isn't possible. Sorry.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

If these are files that you ripped yourself, maybe try ripping them at a lower quality setting. that should make them smaller, i think.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

It is possible to reduce the size of the file but you have to take into consideration that the quality will also drop accordingly.
    Also it depends on what you use these MP3's for.
    If they are for playing on a computer or burning to a CD then Convert them to WMA files. You can reduce them to 96bit which is equal to MP3's 128 bit but a much smaller file size
    MP3Pro is another choice and again reuslts in a much smaller file.
    There are other fomats but they have a limited number of players so are less versatile.
    Now if you intend playing the music on an MP3 player then you are stuck with what you have.
    Having said all that you can burn your MP3s to a CD as data and still play them on your computer straight from the CD. You can even play them on most stand alone DVD players
    You will get anything up to 200 on a single CD.
    Alternatively you can burn them, once again as data, onto a DVD if you have a DVD burner. You should get around 1200 on one DVD and still be able to play them on your computer or on a stand alone DVD player but not on a stereo system CD player.
    Remember not to burn them a CD or DVD audio but as data or as Some burning software would call it CD or DVD ISO.
    To me that is a far better choice than uploading.
    Check you car's cd player and see if it can play MP3. You could make up a complilation of your favorites.
    of course we are talking about legal mp3's aren't we. :wink:
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default getting somewhere..

Thanks for the replies. I need to explain further. The mp3 files I'm wanting to compress are both on my hard drive and on cd. They are songs I recorded with a band years ago. We used a four track analog recorder. I then uploaded the final demos via a tape, running through an amp and into a program called wavepad in order to put them onto my hard drive. What I found was that by doing this they were being saved as wav files. And, these files were quite [/u]HUGE. I then saved them again without changing the bitrate (as I'm still learning what that means) as mp3 files. It did decrease there size but, not quite small enough to upload onto myspace. I don't intend on making the songs downloadable if this works. I thought it would just be a neat way to spice up the web page. If it helps create some ideas, visit www.myspace/slimphst and you can get an idea of what I've started. I've got a handfull of songs I can upload now. But, there are over seven cd's worth of material that I'd like to be able to interchange. Thanks again for the replies.....HELP!!
    think you can, think you can't...either way you're right