Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CD Burning Error: Cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard.

G'day all,

Edit: ( I have resolved this topic, for my computer, see the 7th post in this thread. Also, follow Basementgeek's reccommendation about deleting Prefetch files. It was easy and may work for you.)

I have been unable to burn data/audio to a CD using the 'Windows XP Writing Wizard' recently. Once the task is set in motion it stalls, and the following error message is displayed:

"Cannot complete the CD Writing Wizard"

(See below for error message)

The Error Code is 8FFDO2IE. Microsoft suggests: "This error might have been triggered by an error in another program or component of Windows".

This appears to be a common problem. I have read many articles and followed suggestions as to how it might be rectified. This includes changing settings, disk brands and reducing write speed.

Some have suggested the issue is associated with the installation of Windows Service Pack 2.

For example:"Why does my burner fail to burn after OS is upgraded from Windows XP SP1 to SP2?">"It could be a compatibility issue. Please visit the website of the software to obtain SP2 patch files".)

Others suggest the Windows CD burner is generally unreliable, and recommend using third party software, like Nero.

I'm fairly satisfied that it is not related to any malware issues. All scans and Help2Go Dective were 'clean'. I have also addressed other related iissues such as: defragmented hard drive, over loaded tempory file and llack of free space on the hard drive.

I did recently install Media Player 11 beta.

EditWindows Media Player 11 will not burn a CD, but will play and rip music. See below screenshoot for error message.)

In this article, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129#2 , from Microsoft Support I found this:

"The driver may have become corrupted and you may have to use Device Manager to remove the driver, and then re-install it. Contact the manufacturer of the device for a firmware or a driver update for the device."

EditI have uninstalled and updated with the latest driver)

I have run the Disk Check: chkdsk /f, and also as asked windows to replace and repair Windows files by running: sfc /scannow. Also I have tried a system restore.

The CD/DVD burner is new and the Nero software, (V6.6.0.14d), that came with it is installed. Details about my CD-RW can be found here:
    http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1...64&modelmenu=1

Edit: (I have uninstalled Nero to avoid any software conflict.)

Microsoft aknowledges the "Error" but doesn't provide a solution. From what I have read it seems that this problem is only rectified by reinstalling Windows XP from scratch.:shock:

So I thought I would post this and see if anyone at help2Go had encountered this. What might causes this to happen?. And is there a fix?:roll:

Reguards,

Skygel.
    System Setup:
    XP Home (Service Pack 2)
    1800Mhz - P4(R)
    40G - ROM
    760MB - RAM
    AVG antivirus

G'day,

There seems to be a possibility that the error may occure because Direct Memory Access, (DMA), for the cd-rw has been downgraded or changed to Programmed Input/Output (PIO).

This switch from DMA to PIO occures when repeated errors occure in a device. It is an automatic/default response by the Windows Operating System. ( For details see the screenshoot from Microsoft below.)

For clear detailed instructions on how to restore Direct Memory Access for a specific device go to this site:

http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

.............................................................................

Microsoft also provides instrustions on how to correct this in the registary:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;817472

..............................................................................

For an overview of DMA view this article at wikipedia.org:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_memory_access

...............................................................................

For an over view of PIO view this article at wikipedia.org:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmed_input/output

................................................................................

Reguards,

skygel
    System Setup:
    XP Home (Service Pack 2)
    1800Mhz - P4(R)
    40G - ROM
    760MB - RAM
    AVG antivirus

G'ady,

The screenshoot below provides some instructions from Microsoft for changing device settings from POI to DMA:

Reguards,

Skygel.
    System Setup:
    XP Home (Service Pack 2)
    1800Mhz - P4(R)
    40G - ROM
    760MB - RAM
    AVG antivirus

G'day,

Some general suggestions for avoiding problems with burning CDs here:

http://www.acoustica.com/mp3-cd-burn...g-problems.htm

Also some comments and suggestions from Ronald Lacaria on the subject:

"This sort of weird behavior leads me to believe its some sort of logistics problem...really!
    I don't think any amount of peripheral troubleshooting is going to solve your problem. I think its just the way the hardware is configured. If you feel mechanically inclined, here's what you can try:

I'm guessing the CD-Rom drive is an IDE drive. Is it piggy-backed with the hard drive in your machine? If so, put it on it's own IDE channel. If it's already on it's own IDE channel, check the jumpers on the drive. If it's set to "Slave", set it to "Cable Select", if it's set to "Cable Select", change it to "Master". If it's set to "Master", change it to "Cable Select".
    This may sound like so much voodoo, but Windows has a way of confusing itself where CD-RW's are concerned.
    Try it. If it doesn't work, unplug the drive from the motherboard, restart the machine without it. Make sure you uninstall all your CD writing software, then reinstall the drive. After Windows finishes spitting up the drivers, then install Nero or whatever and see what happens."

Having read this I did the following:

I checked how the device was connected: It is connected by it's own IDE cable.

I changed the selector on the back of the Asus DRW-1608P2S from 'channel select' to 'master'. Having done this I still get the same writing error.

I then disconnected the DRW from the motherboard. I rebooted and uninstalled the Nero software.

I then shut down the computer and reconnected the DRW to the motherboard and booted the computer.

I did not see any indication that Windows was or had loaded any drives. I assume this happens in the background automaticlly.

Currently I have not reinstalled the Nero software.

(I have been able to use the Nero software to burn CD whilst experiencing problems with the 'Windows CD Wizard'. And my goal is to resolve the issue within Windows it self. But please advise me if installing Nero is nessary to troubleshoot this issue with Windows.)

I also went to the DRW manufactures site and downloaded the latest drive for this model and extracted all files from the zip folder it to the desktop.

Then using, 'Device Manager', I selected the drive and asked 'Windows Update Wizard' to find the best drive for this device. I inserted the System CD and the Recovery CD. And I assume it searched 'My Computer' and the internet for the best drive.

So no solution to date. If you might have any suggestions please post them here and I will attempt to do them.

Reguards,

Skygel.
    System Setup:
    XP Home (Service Pack 2)
    1800Mhz - P4(R)
    40G - ROM
    760MB - RAM
    AVG antivirus

G'day,

This article is the most promising lead I have found so far towards resolving this topic:

http://www.thegline.com/win2k/2005/1...g-windows.html

The directions given are outside my 'comfort zone', and experience. It requires deleting upper/lowerfilter values in the registary and some COM+ changes to the Windows IMAPI CD burning engine.

But the instructions are very clearly laided out and should be fairly straight foward for an experienced user.

Edit: ( Links in the article above provide access to a Microsoft download which will "automatically delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters registary values that cause CD access problems". It may be viewed at this site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/)

Reguards,

Skygel.
    System Setup:
    XP Home (Service Pack 2)
    1800Mhz - P4(R)
    40G - ROM
    760MB - RAM
    AVG antivirus

Al

Sounds like your working through it. It's often the best way to learn. :wink:

G'day,

I am now able to write data and audio to CDs using Windows XP Home.

I don't know exactly how this came about.

But as this problem was resolved immediatly after emptying the Tempory Internet files in Windows Expolorer I can only assume that has been responsible for resolving the problem.

This is what I did:

'Start' / 'Internet Explorer' / 'Tools' / 'Internet Options' / Look to: 'Tempory Internet Files' and click 'Delete Files....' botton. In the next window select 'Delete all offline content' / OK.

I also cleared my internet 'History'.

So perhaps that's all there is to it? :shock: :roll: 8) :wink:

Reguards,

Skygel
    System Setup:
    XP Home (Service Pack 2)
    1800Mhz - P4(R)
    40G - ROM
    760MB - RAM
    AVG antivirus

Any time you are having problems, a good place to always start is to do just basic "house cleaning."

Delete the:

Cookies
    Temporary Internet files
    History
    Prefetch files

Also things in the recycle bin have been know to create problems, so it is a good idea to look at them too.

BG

G'day Basement,

Yes that seemed to be the case here.

Sure beats doing the AMAPI and COM++ sutff, I don't want to go there.

I thought I had been deleting the Tempory Internet Files regularly. I run CCleaner with the Windows / Internet Explorer / Tempory Internet Files selected for deletion everyday. Also Windows Disk Cleanup.

Perhaps allocating more memory to the Tempory Internet Files might allow Windows CD Buring engine 'room' to move? Currently set at 1192MB.

Also, in Internet expolrer I had 'Check for newer versions of stored pages' set to 'Automatically'. I have now set it to 'Never'? So perhaps that setting option might have been automatically loading up the tempory files? I don't know.

And in future, before attempting to write to disk, I will do all that you suggested. And I think I will also 'Delete Files' via Internet Explorer, just to be sure.

I'm not familar with prefetch files, i'll check that out. Cheers Basement.

Reguards,

Skygel.
    System Setup:
    XP Home (Service Pack 2)
    1800Mhz - P4(R)
    40G - ROM
    760MB - RAM
    AVG antivirus

Prefetch files are "sort of" like history files. They are located at:

C\Windows\Prefetech

Delete all the files, but not the FOLDER

(On a personal note. I never do the things that I recommended. I am bad about cleaning up my PC. I like my cookies and History )

BG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast