Default HP OFFICEJET d145

HELP!!
    I've been using the HP Officejet d145 for about 5 years and a year ago it decided (after a bout of intense use - 60 or so pages) to stop copying and scanning for me. I tried partial and full resets to no avail so gave up at that point. I just returned from holiday a week ago (went for ten days) and the day before I left it was printing fine but now doesn't want to know. It keeps telling me I need a new colour ink cartridge but I've replaced the cartridge and it STILL won't play ball. I've tried partial and full resets again without success. This was an expensive piece of kit for me at the time and I've spent on replacing all of the print heads recently so don't want to ditch it. ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Sounds like the sensors for the inktanks are either covered in dust or faulty.
    A common problem with HP printers and there badly placed sensores.
    Also using cheap copy paper can accumulate paper dust.
    A good cleanout may help. Use a can of compressed air to remove internal dust.
    I am not sure what type of ink tanks are used in this model. Take one out and if it has a small circuit on the base then they come with printer heads as part of the inktank. If not then the printer head is built into the printer and quite frankly, after 6 years, I would not be surprised if they have seen their day.
    If that is the case then consider buying a new one.
    Printers have inproved greatly over the past years. Keep away from the real cheap ones as the rule is the cheaper the printer the higher the ink cost.
    Look for a printer with at least 4 seperate ink tanks. 5 is better as they have two black tanks. One for day to day text printing and one especially for printing photos. Get a seperate scanner and you should end up with the same abilities but better overall quality.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default HP officejet d145

Thanks for your suggestions but the ink 'tanks' are both new (non-HP) and the printheads (which are seperate) were replaced only a couple of months ago. The copier/scanner stopped working a year ago but the printer was fine just before my break and VERY FRUSTRASTINGLY is not now. This thing was expensive when I first bought it and I am very reluctant to dump it.