Default Word and Excel have died.

I was trying to clear disk space on my PC and I think I accidentally deleted something relating to Word and Excel.

When I try to open either they open up but I get a window saying 'Installing components for Microsoft Excel/Word'. After a few seconds another window pops up saying 'Microsoft Office XP Professional with Front Page' 'The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available.' 'Insert the Microsoft Office' disk.'

Problem is I have no disk.

Is there anyway of sorting this out without the disk?

Thanks

DH

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Never hust delete files. Use Windows Disk Clean tool in System Tools or a third party HD cleanup utility.
    You will have to reinstall Office. It may give you the option of repairing or full reinstall.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

OK... but how do you re-install Office without the CD?

DH

Hi - You don't. You could go here for this free office utility. It claims to be compatible with all major office programmes.Regards.

http://www.openoffice.org/
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks.

I can probably do without Word as I have Adobe InDesign but I have several Excel files that I use all the time that will no longer open.

Is my only solution to buy a new copy of Excel?

DH

Hi - I have been to the Openoffice site and you should be able to read existing Excel documents with the free program at the link above. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Ta for that.

OpenOffice does work with Excel files.
    Takes ages to open and is pretty sluggish when running. I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, its free and at least I can work on my files now.

Thanks again for your help.

DH

Glad to help