Default Hidden background image?

Hi all -- Last week I restarted my computer after having some problems, and suddenly my background image was gone. I thought it was just shut off, but when I went to Properties > Desktop > Background I can see it's still listed in there and selected. Also, when my pc starts, I can see the image for about 5 seconds but when my pc is fully loaded up it vanishes. It appears as though somewhere my settings are set to hide the image.

How can I get my pc to display my background image?

Thanks!

-keith-

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

There is a chance that the system is killing it off because you are getting low in drive space.
    Try this only if you are 100% happy with everythig esle. ie not viruses etc.
    Right Click My computer and choose Properties then System Restre. Check the Turn Off box. If you only have one drive there should be a slider below. Slide ig back to around 2%
    If it is not there Click on the Drive's line and choose Settings to see the slider.
    This should free up loads of space. (MS reserve 12% of a drive for restore points which is enough space to create 100's) 2% is plenty.
    Now creat a New Restore point using the System Tools. Start. All Programs > Accessories.
    Hope that fixes the problem.
    You may also think about freeing up more room.
    In the SYstem Tools also run the Disk Cleanup. Make sure Internet Tempory is included in the Cleanup.
    It may be worth while reducing the resevered space in IE. Open IE, click Tools and Temporary Internet Files, Click advance and reduce the amount allocated.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Re: Hidden background image?

Hello, and thank you in advance for any assistance rendered.

I am having a comperable problem in that my background seems to be disabled. I cannot set any pic as the desktop background and the only control I have from Properties > Desktop > Background or even from the control panel route to Desktop > Background is to change the color of my desktop. Any options in the background column and the brouse button are greyed and seem to be disabled. I can't click on them in any way other than to ask 'what's this?'. I am unsure if it is a spyware issue. But, I -am- certain that it is not a space issue as I have been down to my last 80 mb of space and this never happened before. Also, I tried the fix suggested earlier to no sucess.

I have little else by way of options and any assistance rendered would be vastly appreciated.

cdm

Judo
    I think your problem is more spyware related. Sometimes you can get spyware popups that glue to your desktop and you can't see the X because its black or hidden. Try to brighten your monitor screen and stare at your background - check if there is anything that might look like a frame or box. Run a spyware remover program as well.

Thank you whoozhe and cdm. However, I dont think this problem is a space or virus issue, but rather some kind of "display" issue.

Space: I'm running a Dell Precision w/ an 80 GB hard drive, and only 13 GB are shown as being used.

Virus/Spyware: I've run AdAaware, SpyBot, HouseCall, Panda, BitDefender, etc etc and there doesnt appear to be any issues with my system.

My assumption is that there is a display setting somewhere that has been thrown off.

For instance, maybe something in:
    My Computer > Properties > Systems Properties ???????

cdm

ok - try this - go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Display - Desktop- Customize Desktop - Web -
    Do you see more than 1 webpage there. You should only have My Current Home Page unless you added some yourself. If not delete the others. Also check if "lock desktop items" is unchecked. You can also Lock desktop items to avoid if being changed again. Try that and let us know.

Thanks cdm. There was only one website listed there, and I locked the desktop items now.

For anyone following this thread: I ended up just setting a new background image. I noticed something though... If I make any other desktop changes (i.e. - change the background color, etc) then my picture again disappears and I have to again chose "Set Image as Background" to get it to re-appear. Its as if Windows drops the image behind my background color.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to why Windows would hide a background image, Im still interested. But the *obvious* work around works otherwise.

Thanks,

[keith]

Oops - I spoke too soon. This workaround doesn't work. As soon as I restart my PC, my background image goes away.

In your display settings, do you have an option to enable/disable active desktop?

If so, try the opposite of whatever is set now.

***edit***
    Just curious. In your orignal post it said this problem started after you had some problems and restarted your pc. What were the original problems?

Maybe its related to that.
    I LOVE MY COLTS!!
    First Regular Season game in Lucas Oil Stadium - Sept 7, 2008 - I need to be there
    I'm going to the super bowl!

Im having a similar problem. My desktop image will not show up no matter what I do. I have tried all of the suggested methods and still nothing. It's very odd. I haven't had any computer problems. I just restarted and *Poof* it was gone. HELP ME! Thanks, keep up the good work.