Default Epson DX4850 all-in-one

I've been trying now for over 12 very frustrating hours now to use this new printer, which I just got. I can copy and print but still cannot scan.

Problem #1: I get an annoying message: Epson Scan cannot be started. Then, it gives me the option to use the Troubleshooter Assistant, which is useless. I have installed and reinstalled the scan program from the CD and also from the Epson homepage downloads. Yup, I was sure to turn off and not plug in USB until after software was installed. Also, when I go to Control Panel>Scanners and Cameras, I see nothing listed there. Whereas, I do see the printer listed under Control Panel>Printers & Faxes.

Problem #2: I turn on my printer and get this message on the taskbar that new hardware may not be properly installed. I ignore it. Then, I get the Install Wizard prompting me to install software that is already installed. I just click on "cancel" and that goes away. But is there a way to get rid of this message and never ever see it again?

I bought this laptop this past February and it runs on XP. I got the malfunctioning Epson DX4850 today. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thank you!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Uninstall all drivers and software that came with the printer.
    Unplug the printer.
    Now install the drivers with the printer disconnected from the computer.
    During the installation proces you will get a message when it is time to connect it, usually after the drivers have been installed but before any software is.
    I think you may have tried to install the lot with the printer disconnected.
    So disconnct, install drivers. Connect and test then install the supporting applications.
    This is how most USB systems are installed.
    Unfortunately HP have a long history of releasing lousy drivers. When I did have a HP printer I would wait a month or so after an update was released before installing. They always got the first release wrong.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default PRINTER USB CABLE QUESTION

Sorry for the intrusion on your problem, but I have a?? about what kind of USB cable to use with a new printer. Just purchased canon pixma mp500. Can I use any one like from a game console or are they made especially for printers? Im so duh, I even looked at the one that came w/ my digital camera. Thanks

lablvr

Please start a question in a new post, not in someone elses.

benc

Default benc

Quote Originally Posted by benc
    lablvr

Please start a question in a new post, not in someone elses.

benc

just trying to find an answer from someone with a similar issue. Sorry. You can delete it, I don't know how.

just installed that new printer I bought (canon mp500) and they stated in red letters in the instructions, to not plug the USB cord in until after the software was in. I hope it works for you that way

Re problem with Epson dx4850, I have experienced the same. The solution I have found is by going to Control Panel, Add Hardware, and search for new hardware. The printer should come up, saying no driver installed yet. Force Windows to install a driver, and all should be well.