Default Watching a dvd on my computer and also on the tv

Can someone help me please. Is there a way to watch a dvd on the computer and at the same time watch it on a television screen with windows xp? I used to do it on windows 98, but I cant find a way to do it on Xp. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Not sure if you'll need 2 graphic cards to do this. Right click on the desktop>Properties > Settings tab > Advanced > Monitor(s) depending on the make of your graphic card ... you should be able to see if this kind of hookup is possible.

You're the first member we've had from Malta. Beautiful island and great people .. lived there for a short while in the '60's

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You need a graphics card with TV out (SVideo).
    Check the options for the grahics card.
    The setting you need is for two monitors.
    You will need to reconfigure the second monitor to the resolution for TV.
    You also need a video and sound cable to go to the TV set. Video from the SVideo socket and sound from Line Out on your sound card.
    The graphics card manual should have instructions.
    Not all graphics cards have TV out and most Built in garpahics don't.
    The Svideo or TV out is a multi pin socket.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Depends on your graphics card & TV as others here have said. If it is possible the graphics card software should have an option called "clone" or similar.

You may also like to take a look at powerstrip>>> http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Connection wise these days there are several ways to connect a tv to a pc if your TV is modern enough (particularly newer LCD/Plasma/DLP sets) You can use:
    VGA
    HDMI
    DVI (video component of HDMI)
    S-Video

All can carry HD apart from s-video.

Thanks for all the help given. I do have a compatible graphic card and everything else, I used to do this easily on windows 98 when i had the clone option. I just cloned the tv to the computer and all was fine, but now on xp there s no clone option at all. If i click to extend the desktop it wont do as i want, it wont clone the pc screen. Thanks again everyone.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

As said it depends on the sound card not Windows. Windows just supports sound cards with that capability.
    Right click a blank area of the desktop and choose Properits.
    Look under the Settings then choose Advance. Your sound cards should be one of the tabs and the setting for monitor/TV is there.
    If not and your sound card does have Svideo than you may not have installed the extras needed. Usually it is some Control Panel that is not installed by default.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.