Default WINDOWS XP HOST COMPUTER

HI - CAN ANY PLEASE HELP

I AM TRYING TO NETWORK MY MAIN COMPUTER TO MY SONS - BUT EVERYTIME I RUN THE NETWORK SETUP WIZARD WHEN I CLICK ON

THIS COMPUTER CONNECTS DIRECTLY TO THE INTERNET

AND CLICK NEXT

IT KEEPS COMING UP WITH THE MESSAGE CANNOT COMPLETE
    OTHER COMPUTERS CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET THROUGH THIS COMPUTER - IN ADDITION TO ITS INTERNET CONNECTION THIS COMPUTER MUST HAVE A CONNECTION TO YOUR NETWORK

BUT MY COMPUTER IS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET

I AM RUNNING WINDOW XP PRO

ANY HELP PLEASE

Hello Lasue, Can you tell us exactly what equipment you are trying to use to network your computers....not knowing you experience level in this subject we can't really get a grasp of your starting point. How do you achieve your connection? The most common way to achieve a home network (LAN, ala Local Network Connection) is to put your internet connection (the ethernet cable coming out of your modem that you plug into your computer) into a router or if you are really lucky a network switch. Then you would plug the computers into the router, followed by a bit of reading up of how to configure it...BUT i'm getting ahead of myself...sorry. This is all fine and dandy unless you use a USB connection to connect to your modem, in which case you hopefully have a spare ethernet port in the back of one of the computers and you may have to use Internet Connection Sharing. If you are even luckier you may have a wireless modem which would be even easier (in theory).
    So after all that prattle we need more info from you, sorry. Can you describe what you have a little more thoroughly eg. your internet connection type, modem, router if you have one, what type of cable you use to connect to the modem etc.
    We are a patient lot so don't be afraid to ask if you don't understand something in this post.
    Cheers, Lucent

P.S oh and can you please turn caps lock off?

thanks for replying

hi - have a broadband cable going into a ethernet card as my connection to the internet

but for some reason the network wizard can not see it

Hi - So how the twp pcs connected? Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

hi - through a 8 port 10/100 auto -negotiation switch

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Whe you run the Network Wizard choose "other" connection types. You will then see and option (ususally the 1st one) to set up a network for computers sharing a hub.
    When you come to the end make a floppy copy when prompted and run that on the other system.
    Remember that XP SP2 will activate it's firwall when Home Networks are established so you will need to either turn it off or add the IP for each computer, including your own, to allow access.
    Unfortunately Microsoft have never got networking right from day one. It is still a mess causing undue frustration.
    MS do have some interactive tutorials at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Oops, sorry lasue....to connect to the net you also need to pay your internet bill...which I unfortunately forgot to do Did you get your problem solved? Thanks to galena1 and whooze for stepping up.