Thread: net connetction

Default net connetction

After starting my PC and connecting to the net I am being disconnected after about 3 or 4 minutes, I have not installed any new software or made any changes to my PC. All my connections are in good shape. Running windows 2000 Does anybody know where to start looking? Let me say thank you in advance.

Tom

Cable connection or dial up? Are you using a router?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I will assume you are using DialUp as with ADSL you are connected at all times so there is no need to manually connect.
    First I would scan for viruses, malware enad especially Dialers.
    Do this while offline.
    Next check IE and Outlook if you use them and make that neither are set to Connect To The Net.
    In Outlook make sure it is not set to check email at intervals and disconnect after downloads especially if the disconnection is at regular intervals.
    Also check andy other application that has auto updates that it isn't set to do the same.
    Next is check the phone line for faulty and/or noisy line.
    Other causes can be someone picking up the phone, incomming calls when Call Waiting is active. If you are using Cordless phones microwaves and other electrical devices can interfere.
    For security I would also change my ISP password. If someone else is using your account the ISP will disconnect the last one trying to connect.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks for the reply, I'm connected using Verizon DSL. Verizon checked the connections and I'm good, I can stay connected in the safe mode of my Dell laptop. I have scanned my PC for virus and adware and can see nothing. I'm at a loss. Thanks again.

Tom