Default Norton Systemworks Download resulted in XP not accessible

I paid for and downloaded Norton Systemworks 2006 while my Norton Systemworks 2004 was still active. They also included a special restore file or something called "GOBACK" in the event something didn't work well.

After downloading on desktop, I clicked to install Norton Systemworks 2006....which took quite a while (65MB)....then GOBACK installed...there wasn't enough room on my C drive so it installed it in my G drive.

I rebooted to finish, and when I tried to go back into Windows I was given this warning message "GOBACK was installed in 3 bad sectors on G drive" and the RECOMMENDED I hit the spacebar to uninstall it. I did that, and the result was I was locked out of Windows XP and could never get in...it just kept trying but got stuck in a loop. After taking it to a computer store and spending $160 for a new hard-drive to be added and reloaded with Windows XP. I was informed by another friend that he could probably rescue Windows XP on my original harddrive, so I wouldn't lose TONS of data and getting new updates for XP.

5 hours later he was successful. Meanwhile I was 3 days offline, all because I wanted to upgrade Norton. Since I often so a surface scan, I had no idea dumb Nortons would install GOBACK on bad sectors!! What a mess. At the moment I am wondering what I should use in replacment of Norton Systemworks since it caused nothing but grief. Plus, HOW DO I REMOVE what's left of NORTON on my hard drive ???????? Many thanks.

Hi toille - Nortons own 'Removal Tool' is available at the link below.
    'Go Back' was a first-class system recovery program in its early days. Typically, it was 'upgraded' for, in my opinion, no reason at all other than a marketing move to 'offer something new' to increase sales. A sort of 'retrograde upgrade ) I use Norton System Works but never installed the 'Go Back' section. Regards.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...&osv=&osv_lvl=
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

For a substitute to Norton's System Works and for general computer safety check out this link: http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

benc

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Go figure Installs on bad sectors. Oh they are so savvy these Symantec coders.
    GoBack is a replacement for XP's System Restore and frankly I cannot see any advantages.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.