Thread: New PC

Default New PC

Hello again,
    I just bought a new dell Dimension machine and am trying to find the best way to protect it and me from virus, malware, and any other threats. I'm sorry if I am not phrasing the question correctly.

Thanks
    Tom

Of course I went back and found the article "Get rid of spyware,adware and web browser hijackers" Is there anything else I should do?

You guys rock!

Tom

Hi mayerst - Presumably you have read this article -
    http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Pro...That_Hard.html
    Also, you should only run one Firewall. Running more than one can cause problems. Don't depend on Windows own built in Firewall, it's not much good. When you have a decent Firewall installed then you can disable the one included in Windows.
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Galena1,
    Thanks for the quick reply, I have printed out the referenced article but , I have one more question. The new PC came with a 2 months free trial Macafee and the Windows version. To my knowledge both are running at this time. What is the best course of action, do you have a recomendation for a decent firewall? Once again this site is great and thanks again.

Tom

Hi - Many at Help2Go use Zone Alarm, it's free .You can download it here - http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...eeDownload.jsp
    Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thank you, you have been very helpful. I hope I can return the favor someday.

Tom

You are welcome

On my computer running XP, I have AVG Anti-virus, Zone Alarm Free firewall, Windows Defender Spyware protection, SpywareBlaster spyware protection and SpyBot spyware protection. As Galena pointed out- 1 antivirus and 1 firewall, but you can have multiple antispyware programs. SpywareBlaster alone keeps almost everything off the computer, Windows Defender and SpyBot can remove anything that sneaks through. All of the programs are available for free download. Charlie