Default small red x appears where wmp should be

ive been living with this for months, finally got my belly full...when i try to view videos on my favorite websites, the little red x is there instead of the media player, i use wmp10 on xp machine, sp2...any help will be appreciated

Hi red - Have you tried reverting to WMP 9?
    Also check which version of DirectX you are running - 'Start'>'Run'>Type in dxdiag and click 'OK'. On the system page detailed at the bottomis the version of DirectX that you have. It should be 9.0c.
    Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If galena's solution does not work, the red x can also be due to a Java problem. Go to add/remove in Control panel and remove all java entries. Then go to http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp and download the latest java version ... reboot and hopefully the problem will be fixed. Another possibility, since this is with WMP is that you need other codex's. Try this MS free download http://www.wmplugins.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemID=7 , it too may solve the problem. Before doing any of this, I suggest you create a new restore point just in case you need to revert to the original settings.

Keep us posted.

rolling back to mp9 seemed to resolve the issue, thanx a bunch guys!