Default Processor issue!!

hi dears friends.

I'm having a little issue with a P4 3.0 GHZ pc.

This computer crashed due to a power issue i had, this power issue crashed the motherboard and the power supply.

I replaced the broken power supply for a new one, but the motherboard didn't turn on, i tested the power supply and it works, the next i wanted to do, it was to test the processor in another motherboard, i tested in a dell optiplex 160L 2.3 ghz intel celeon socket mpga478B, that's the same that the broken pc had , i mean the same socket.

the problem is when i turn the dell pc with the P4 3.GHZ PROCESSOR it shows an amber light flashing the pc turns on but the video does not come up.

Could you someone help me out with this issue.

Thanks in advanced!!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I am not sure what you expected trying a Pentium on a Cleron board. The pins may be the same but don't expect it to just simply work. There is more to it than just plugging in a new and different CPU.
    Back to your system. What sort of power issue???
    A faulty power supply can damage Mother boards, especially if there is a power surge.
    I would have the MOBO checked out by a technician.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

If it crashed the mother board it probably trashed the CPU as well. After all it is nothing but a bunch of transistors, etc, same as the MB.

Put the test machine CPU back in and does it still work? If so consider your self lucky.

BG

a faulty power supply, i'm gonna get a pentium motherboard to test it again.

Be advised that components only can fail two ways - Either a circuit is"open" (connections are broken) or they are "Shorted" out
    (they are cross circuited) If you fried the CPU, you have a chance of toasting a new MOB.

BG

When a circuit opens you will read the full power supply voltage at that point.

When a circuit shorts it will draw the max amount of current the power supply is rated at and usually create an open because it has burned a component open or wire short circuits can be found by a visual check sometimes and a smell check very important diagonist tools for looking at a suspected mother board of course you will still need to bring it to a pro but you may be able to pin point a problem area for him. Food for thought. Zep