Default Wireless internet connection isn't working...please help

I have a Acer laptop running Windows XP Home Edition. The other day after my granddaughter had used it, the laptop wouldn't turn off, so I removed the battery and put it back in a few minutes later, which I have done before. Now, I cannot connect to the internet when its turned on and it has always connected immediately before this.

I keep getting a message that there are no wireless networks in the area, yet my desktop is connected to the wireless network. I am also using a router.

I have run adaware, spybot and norton to see if there was a problem and everything's come up clean.

I hope I have explained myself clear enough to get some help please. Nancy

I would try running the network setup wizard. There's a good chance that you lost some settings when you didnt shutdown properly.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

cdm

Try turning off your modem and router for about 2 minutes. And then turn them back on. Maybe a reset will help
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Well, talk about feeling foolish!! I found out that there are two buttons on the front of my laptop.....one for a bluetooth connection and the other one is for the internet connection. Somehow, the internet button had been switched off and all I had to do was turn it back on and VOILA I was back in business!!

Thanks very much cdm and mich for the helpful suggestions you gave me............Nancy

Thanks for letting us know your problem is resolved.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.