Default My Document Issue - Can't Delete Folder

Hi,

I'm using Windows XP, SP2.

I was restoring a Windows Backup file to an external hard drive. The backup file was from a previous computer and is not related to the current installation, but I would like to retrieve the data that was in that backup. I restored the files to the external drive but it didn't occur to me that I should have renamed the folders and files so as to avoid any
    conflict with the default naming convention in Windows.

I have a restored folder, therefore, named "My Documents" on the external hard drive. It's in a folder titled "Documents and Settings". Windows will not allow me to access the "My Documents" folder and generates a "not accessible" error message when I try to do that.

My guess is that's because this file conflicts with the "My Documents" folder on the machines "C" drive. I'm not sure what I can do to either access that folder, and the files in it, or delete it in order to start over. It seems that Windows has to be operating in order to get to the folder to rename it but once Windows is operational, my guess is that I won't be able to modify or delete the folder.

I've tried a number of approaches, including rebooting both the machine and the external drive to reset them, booting into "Safe Mode" under my user name as well as Administrator, and moving the external hard drive to my laptop. I've also tried resetting some of the items in the "Properties" menu (e.g., "Read Only"). In all cases I get the same error message.

If anyone can advise as to an appropriate approach I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Wayne

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

What software did you use to make the backup?
    As folders on seperate partitions can have the same names it is unlikely that you being unable to acces the external drives My Documents folder may no be due to Windows.
    Some backup utilties encrypt the files and the key to decrypt may well have been stored on the previous system.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Try taking ownership of the folder.

read: http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...ght,ownership/

Partieā„¢