Default Installing XP onto blank HDD

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that was loaded with so many viruses and programs that it was just foolish to continue trying to fix it, so I started anew. I found out about DBAN from you guys, made the floppy, and nuked the HDD. Now I can't get Windows XP to install. I'm using the disc that came with the computer, a Windows XP Home Edition reinstallation CD-ROM for Dell computers. However, I can't seem to get it to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Computer specs:
    Make: Dell
    Model: Dimension 2400
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz
    HDD: 80 GB
    Optical Drives: Standard CD-RW (came with computer), and a Samsung DVD-RW I bought and installed later. CD is slave drive, DVD is master.
    RAM: 256 MB (shameful, I know)

Is the BIOS set to boot from the CD? What dows it do when you try to install it? Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

If your system cam with preinstalled windows the actual installation files are on a hidden partition on your hard drive. The recovery disk accesses this partition and sets of the XP installation process. If that partition is affected then you are out of luck and would have to consult dell for a replacement.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.