Default Checking file system on C: then only wallpaper visible

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, my sister has a vaio which she bought 2 years ago. It has Windows xp home edition. When she starts the computer, a blue screen appears with the following message:
    Check file system C:
    The type of file system is FAT32

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
    Volume Serial Number is 1871-CC6E

then it takes about 50 seconds to end the disk check. when it finally ends, the desktop background appears but there is no start bar nor any icons present. It is just the plain wall paper.There is no way I can turn off the computer normally (Ctrl+Alt+delete "task manager" is disabled). If I try to reinstall windows xp with the instalation kit, it does not work either (the same blue screen appears).
    Does any one have any idea what the problem might be?
    I will be very thankfull if somebody gives me an answer and a suggestion on how I can fix it.

Try starting the PC using last known good configuration. See the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852/
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

cdm

Could be many things. Your computer might be loaded with spyware, try rebooting, press F8 and choose Safe Mode. Try running a spyware removal program while in safe mode. Also might be your harddisk has many errors and might be going bad. Are there any errors after the diskcheck?
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

It is probably some small utility the manufacturer put in place and it may have become corrupt by subsequence updates/patches.
    You may have to do a little hunting to find the actual command and eliminate it.
    Places to look are.
    The StartUp Folder in the Documents and Folders/User/StartMenu/Programs/Startup (Check under All Users as well)
    MSconfig/StartUp (Click Start then Run and Type msconfig the click OK)
    There are utilites that can list all items that are included in the startup process.
    Aslo some hard drives use SMART technology and self test during startup. This can be switched off in the BIOS.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.