Default Reformatting puter

I have two desktops and two laptops...all networked together. My Main Desktop is the original computer that I connected the Cable modem to....then I got a dlink router and networked them all together..... My question is this....if I reformat the Main Desktop will it affect my router and cable modem ?? Or, can I just disconnect them from my Main desktop, reformat it and then reconnect them to the main and it'll all be good. The main O/S is XP as is the other desktop and one of the laptops...the other laptop is Win 2000. I have had the main desktop for two years and it's time to reformat.

I am thinking that the reformat will not affect the router and modem....cuz I can turn off the main and still have LAN access to the other three and the internet.

I don't think it will have any effect. You will simply need to resetup the computer for network access. Your other computers work when the main desktop is shut off, so the router and modem are independent of the main desktop. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

No
    The settings exist within the router and modem. each computer is connected directly to the Net. The only thing you will have to do is get the newly formatted system to join the workgroup again.
    One question is why do you need to reformat. Unlike win 98 and prior XP can be cleaned up far better and the only time a reformat is really neccessary is when there is a problem that just cannot be fixed. XP does not accumulate unmoveable junk like it's earlier incarnations did.
    Also if you did reinstall you will have to spend the next day applying all thos patches again.
    If you used a good solid Windows Cleaning application like System Mechanic, you may find a reformat is not needed.
    have a look at http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads1.html for a mile long list of them.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.