Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IE7 Problems - Smart Bridge Alert

Daily have received message on starting computer as follows:
    Smart Bridge Alerts: Motive S.B.exe-Entry Point Not Found.
    The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL.
    What does this mean? What should I do about it? Thanks for any help.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I've found a couple of reasons for this message,

1) Motive Smartbridge is a program that is installed by your ISP to help them to troubleshoot. If this is the case, the program is not necessary and can be removed using the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. The file to look for would be your ISP's name. You could also go into the ISP file C:\Program Files\(ISP name)\and in that file should be psapi.dll and change it to psapiold.dll . Reboot your PC.

or 2

It's an IE 7 problem, the only solution for now is to uninstall IE7 and revert to IE6. Keep us posted.

Default Smart Bridge Alerts

To Canuck. Think you are right about IE 7 as I just downloaded it earlier this month and I found the psapi.dll file with the word Motive in it which had been created 7 Sept. But renaming it did not take away message after restarting computer.

I believe IE 7 is still in Beta .. they're calling it Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 which in plain English means Beta to quote from MS
    Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1:
    All Internet Explorer 7 planned work has been completed. The purpose of this build is to do a final internal and external test pass and fix any critical bugs that come from this testing prior to launch.
    . Unless a person is very knowledgeable in a particular software program, it is not advisable to download Beta versions as they do come with bugs and problems. Suggest you revert to IE 6.

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 RC1 to return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP

Click "Start," and then click "Control Panel."
    Click "Add or Remove Programs."
    Check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box.
    Scroll down the list and highlight the version of Internet Explorer 7 beta or RC1 that you are running, and then click "Change/Remove." (If you are running Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview — March 20 or later, it is not necessary to check "Show Updates.")
    IE 6 available here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...1/default.mspx

Note. Even though IE 7 has been released (no longer in Beta) there are still many problems .. this is MS's list alone of the bugs http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx . We have come across other problems from our members too.

Default Smart Bridge Alerts

To Canuck. Took your advice and removed IE7 and reinstalled IE6. The Smart Bridge Alert did not appear again after restarting computer but I had some difficulty getting back my Verizon home page. Think I solved that though. As you may have guessed, I'm not very knowledgeable about computers, so really appreciate your help. Thank you.

You're most welcome Mermaid

I have the same problem having just installed IE7. Thanks Canuck.

Default explorer 7

I just deleated 7 but i cant install 6 as it says i have later install version on my computer though i have deleated it?

You shouldn't need to install 6. By default, after removing 7 it should automatacally revert to 6. In Add/Remove programs >click the box at top 'show updates' > scroll down to IE7 and Remove.

I have deleated 7 and six is not there? I recently installed the whole computer again And i never had trouble before with 7 until after that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast