Default Can't Defrag, it says that Not Enough Free Space

Hi,

I spent a lot of time last night cleaning out my computer of files because I tried to do a defrag and it said that I didn't have enough free space to do it. My "D" drive has 1.11 GB Free Space, have never seen my computer with such little space before. I've tried everything to clean it up... removed tons of pictures...I removed programs I don't use and removed the files out of the "C" drive. I've also run a "Disk Cleanup" on the C, I did a Checkign file system on "C" drive and ...I'm not sure what else to do. Would you have any suggestions for me???

This is the error message I get when I try to defrag.

Volume Compaq (C has 10% free space, but only 8% is available for use by Disk Defragmenter (due to reserved system space). To run effectively, Disk Defragmenter requires at least 15% usable free space. There is not enough disk space to properly complete the operation. Delete some unneeded files on your hard disk, and then try again.

I'm not what else I can delete. I would have thought all the pictures I had on my system would have done it but obviously it didn't.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Graceful
    Graceful

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I take it you're using XP? If so, right click My Computer> Properties >System Restore > turn off SR by checking the box> OK. Now go back in, uncheck check box and set slider box to about 4% (default is set at 12% which is far too much) >OK. This should give you 8% of your Hard Drive space back (if it's a 100 gig drive you'll get back 8 gigs .. you get the idea).

Now I suggest you go to Help & Support and create a new Restore Point (name it 'good restore' or something like that. After this process is done, try defraging. Keep us posted.

Default Didn't work???

Yes, I'm running XP Home Office. I did go in and do what you suggested. When I open up the System restore and go to settings the slider only allows me to move is it to either 200mb, 1004MB, 1839 MB etc...I moved it from 1004MB down to 200mb and tried to do the defrag...it still is giving me the error message above. It didn't give me anymore free space...any other suggestions?

Thank you!!
    Graceful

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Did you shut the Restore off before adjusting the slider??

No...but I will

Graceful

Default Still no change

OK...I did do what you asked went into settings and made the change and then clicked turn off the System Restore on all drives...and clicked "Apply" and went into Defrag and it's still at 10% Free space...no change????
    Graceful

Hello

I know you said you ran Disk Cleanup but I would give this a try also

Please download Cleanup! and install it.

*NOTE* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temporary folders and does not make backups.

Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
    Set the program up as follows:

Click "Options..."
    Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
    Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
    • Empty Recycle Bins
    • Delete Cookies
    • Delete Prefetch files (if present)
    • Cleanup! All Users
    • Click on the Temporary Files tab and uncheck the box for Scan drives for files matching if it’s checked.
    Click OK
    Press the CleanUp! button to start the program and reboot when prompted.

This is like a prescription strength Disk Cleanup and might give you a little more free space. Worth a try.

Clark76
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Default YAY!!!

Hi Clark,

You're awesome!!! That did it. I went from 10% free space to 88% free space. Thank you and I will be making a donation...you've been a HUGE help!

Graceful
    Graceful

Default Re: YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graceful585
    I went from 10% free space to 88% free space.
    :shock:

That is an enormous change. Perhaps there where alot of tracking cookies stored in your computer :wink:

You are welcome though

Happy surfing

Clark76
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum