Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hard drives

wa

Default hard drives

:?: I am going to order a new hard drive for my computer. I have a Gateway desktop. Someone told me that if you do not order a hard drive from gateway, that it won't be compatible with the computer. Is this true?? If not where is the best place to order one from? I called Gateway, and they said for a 40GB hard drive, the cost would be $70.00 plus shipping and handeling. My son says that is "pretty salty", but he's not sure if you can go somewhere else to order or not. He said if you order one and it does not work, THEN you are stuck with it. If anyone knows for sure, any info on this, PLEASE, let me know as soon as possible. I ordered ram from a site and they analized my computer and sent me the right one. Is there any site that can do this with hard drives?? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

cdm

Don't know if it would make a difference if you put in an Non-certified Gateway Harddrive. I think the benefits from getting it from Gateway is to avoid any DOA (dead on arrival) products and at least if it really doesnt' work, you can send it back no hassle. Some websites offer great deals but bad shipping and very little customer service. here's one for 79.99 and its 80gigs

http://accessories.gateway.com/Acces...550_ProdDetail

I would call gateway, just to make sure. Especially if your computer is still under warranty. You don't want to void that.
    I LOVE MY COLTS!!
    First Regular Season game in Lucas Oil Stadium - Sept 7, 2008 - I need to be there
    I'm going to the super bowl!

Are you going to completely replace the old hard drive, or just add it as a second drive? Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator

Proprietary hardware from the main OEMs hasn't been around for years. They've finally noticed that the regular consumer is into upgrading so they figure why not let them especially since it lets their computers become more marketable. The only things that I would worry about are 1. Size limitations (how many GBs their current BIOS will allow) and 2. Their drive speeds. Say for instance their max GB on their BIOS is 40GB their drive speeds also have max from 5400 or 7200 so be careful. What kind of gateway machine is this? (Model #)

Partieā„¢

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The price for a 40 gig is ridiculous.
    Depending in which country you reside in there are laws prohibiting manufacturers from prohibiting customers from using alternative brands.
    gateway computers are just computers. They do not use propietry parts like HP and IBM do so any brand will work.
    The problem you may have is if you want to use it as your main hard drive and your computer came with Windows pre-installed.
    This means that the gateway recovery disk may not work on the new drive. That problem is because of Microsoft's licencing not Gateway.
    I suggest you contact your local consumer advocate.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I just bought a 160gb drive for my son's Dell from Best Buy for $80. Western Digital, 7200rpm, 16mb cache- yes it was on sale, but do some looking around. somebody close to you has hard drives on sale, they are in the newspaper ads every Sunday. Just know if your drive is IDE (also known as EIDE, ATA, PATA) or SATA. Any brand should do, I have used Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi, Maxtor, Toshiba and Fujitsu- personally can't tell them apart.
    charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator

yeah tigerdirect has a 250gb for 84.00. Deals are EVERYWHERE for hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    yeah tigerdirect has a 250gb for 84.00. Deals are EVERYWHERE for hard drives.
    I saw a 400 GB one for 100 bucks.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4799749
    I LOVE MY COLTS!!
    First Regular Season game in Lucas Oil Stadium - Sept 7, 2008 - I need to be there
    I'm going to the super bowl!

wa

Quote Originally Posted by Grim322
    Are you going to completely replace the old hard drive, or just add it as a second drive? Charlie
    :?: I sort of jumped the gun and called Gateway, & ordered the hard drive. It is a CAVIAR 40GB INT ATA/100 HD 3.5LP 8.9MS 2MB 7200. It costs me $85.00 Total. My problem is, I know NOTHING about putting it in my computer. I have used the search engine, to try to get step by step EASY INSTRUCTIONS, but, since I do not know what they are saying, I am at a loss as to how to do it. I guess I need to keep digging and try to find someone that can help me, without laughing at my ignorance. Does anyone know where to find this kind of info.? I guess to answer your question Charlie - I want to do whichever is easiest.
    Any help that I can get, might keep my sanity!
    Thanks A Bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast