Thread: won't start up

Default won't start up

yesterday i was installing software. when i opended cd drive 1 to insert the disc, the drawer closed then reopened on its own. It did it a few times. then i put the cd in drive 2, and the software installed with no problem. i worked the rest of the night, no problem.

got up this morning, computer won't start up. it's a pc w/ xp-pro, dvd/cd drive 1 is an acer, #2 is HP. could it be as simple as disconecting the funky drive.

help...thanks

al g

Hi al - What was the software? Have you tried starting in 'Safe Mode'?

Turn off pc. Turn on pc and tap F8 as it boots. Hopefully you will be faced witha menu. Use up/down keyboard arrows to select 'Safe Mode' and hit 'Enter'. If the pc starts in 'Safe Mode' do a 'System Restore' back to yesterday before the problem started. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Hello algreen

Could you please elaborate on what you are experiencing when you say your machine will not start. Pushing the power button produces no response at all? Starts to boot but never finishes, etc.
    'Everything is relative', said the speed of light.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Disconnect the drive and try running the system.
    If it works then the drive may be damaged or dirty.
    Another possibility is that when the CD failed it left data in the drives Cache. Disconnecting the drive should flush that.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.