Default CAC card software issue

Got a new laptop for an employee (Sam) and set everything up. Did a 'files and settings' transfer, loaded 'activcard' software for the CAC card reader. The problem is that the CAC reader works for any CAC card EXCEPT Sam's. Sam's card works all other computers, but not the new laptop. I wiped the new laptop clean, started over, did not do a files and settings transfer, and still, Sam's card will not work on the new laptop.
    ActivCard has no clue, nor do I.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I can only think that there is a compatibility problem with the card reader's software version and Sam's card.
    Did his card come from the same source as the others and made using the same card maker?
    Is the model/software/drivers for his card reader the same as the others?
    I believe this is the area that needs looking into.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default CAC card problems unsolved

Good call on the differing software, but not the problem.

All computers have the same exact software.
    I've been told that if you have 'duplicate' card information on one machine it will ban the card altogether. That's where I believe the problems lies, in the files and settings transfer I did, it must have created a duplicate. But nobody can tell me where in a machine CAC information is stored. If that is indeed the problem, it's stored deep down as a complete (or near anyway) reformat did not fix the problem.
    Still, Sam's card works on every machine except his new one and said new machine will accept other's cards, just not Sam's.
    Interesting problem.

Default Re: CAC card problems unsolved

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysurfs
    But nobody can tell me where in a machine CAC information is stored. If that is indeed the problem, it's stored deep down as a complete (or near anyway) reformat did not fix the problem.
    I haven't a clue about this, and don't know if it's any help anyway, but found this on Google. Have you tried a 'Search' for file extension .cac?
    'Start'>'Search'>'All Files and Folders'>Type in .cac in 'All or Part of the File Name'>Click on 'More Advanced Options'>Check the box 'Search Hidden Files and Folders'. Select the drive to 'Look in'. Click on 'Search'.
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome