Thread: system recovrey

Default system recovrey

My registry was corrupted, so i started to do a system recovery with the recovery disks from my manufacturer. It goes fine until I get to 93% on the 2nd of the 3 cd's. When it gets to 93%, I get a fatal error message that halts the process. My system is a Sony PCV-RX540. What can I do to get my system back up and running? I've tried re-running them after removing all extra hardware that I've added since buying PC. I thought this might help by returning it to same as when it was new. No luck there though. I've tested the memory and it checks out ok. I haven't had the hard drive tested yet. If it's bad, by replacing the hard drive, would the system recovery disks still work? Any help would be great.

Thanks, Todd

Hi Todd - What is the fatal error? Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

A pity because Windows makes a backup of the registry when you start the system for the first time each day or whenever you install some software. You could have started your system using that backed up registry.
    Seeing as the damage is done you are left with few choices.
    First and explanation of Computer Supplied rescue disks.
    These disks are designed to be used on a system exactly the way it was when you purchased it. What you need to do is remove every bit of hardware you have added since so it is the same as it was when new.
    Now you should be able to use the restore disk.
    After the installation you can add your bits and pieces. Use the drivers that came with the devices then update them once installed.
    You will also have to update all windows patches so make sure auto-update is on.
    I suggest that you read the documentation that came with the system. Some allow you to make a fresh set of recovery disks so they reflect the updated system.
    Also remember that your XP installation files are actually on your hard drive in a hidden partition. You should also be able to make a backup of that partition.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Quote Originally Posted by galena1
    Hi Todd - What is the fatal error? Regards
    At 93% when running on disk 2 of 3 it stops and says -
    "Fatal Error"-Ignore,Fail,Retry.

The only response I get is from pushing I for ignore, It then prompts for disk 1 to be re-inserted. After I install disk 1 back in the drive it gives another failure message and to push any button on the key board to shut down the computer.

Hope this helps,

Thanks again, Todd

Quote Originally Posted by whoozhe
    A pity because Windows makes a backup of the registry when you start the system for the first time each day or whenever you install some software. You could have started your system using that backed up registry.
    Seeing as the damage is done you are left with few choices.
    First and explanation of Computer Supplied rescue disks.
    These disks are designed to be used on a system exactly the way it was when you purchased it. What you need to do is remove every bit of hardware you have added since so it is the same as it was when new.
    Now you should be able to use the restore disk.
    After the installation you can add your bits and pieces. Use the drivers that came with the devices then update them once installed.
    You will also have to update all windows patches so make sure auto-update is on.
    I suggest that you read the documentation that came with the system. Some allow you to make a fresh set of recovery disks so they reflect the updated system.
    Also remember that your XP installation files are actually on your hard drive in a hidden partition. You should also be able to make a backup of that partition.
    Thankyou for the input..I've been extra busy at work and haven't had time to mess with it lately but plan on tackling it again real soon. I hope to have better luck with the added information I have received.

Thanks, Todd