Default Computer locks up with increasing frequency

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop. Has 40 gb HD and 384mb RAM.

While using the laptop a few weks ago, the cursor just froze and no keys etc. worked. Had to hold power button in to shut off. SOmetimes whens restart works fine until freezes agai, Other times push power button, get a light and noise and then shuts off. Other times will start in windows start screen then freezes. A few times siad could not find file. 2 says ago got a weird blue screen saying had to check disk for "continuity" or "consistency" or something and then did a 3 part test including chkdsk and started up. Still keeps hapening. I had let HD get way to close to full capacity but then removed 7gb in music but still happens. Timing of freeze changes. Can this be a loose conection, HD or controller issue? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

cdm

Could be many things using up your hard drive and damaging your compuer.
    Read this article on the steps or removing spyware and protecting your pc.

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Pro...Hijackers.html

After thats done - if you don't see a difference - remove some unecessary programs from the Add/Remove option in Control Panel to make more space. Run a defrag and Scandisk.
    If it is to be me, it is to be me.

Default Re: Computer locks up with increasing frequency

Quote Originally Posted by rkorren
    A few times siad could not find file. 2 says ago got a weird blue screen saying had to check disk for "continuity" or "consistency" or something and then did a 3 part test including chkdsk and started up.
    Please rephrase that and tell us the entire error message, write it down and take your time when typing the exact error message. Read it yourself and ask yourself if it makes sense to you. The clearer you explain the situation or problem the easier it is for us to help you. Thanks
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Have you two disk drives intalled??? If so then they may be out of whack. Backup whatever you have on the second drive (the one withour windows on it) and reformat it using the reformat command from the primary drive. That should fix the problem.
    This can also happen with one disk that has more than one partition.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.