Thread: CPU Overheating

Default CPU Overheating

So all of a sudden, my computer starts to make funny noises...a sound like something inside the case is vibrating. After opening it up and taking a look, I discover that it's the CPU fan hitting against the heatsink. Not entirely sure how that works or why it started to do it all of a sudden. Either way, my computer started to get really hot, so I dusted it as usual, and the temp went down. But now, it's rising again, and the fan isn't spinning up enough to cool it down. Yesterday, if the CPU was at around 50C, the fan would slow way down till SpeedFan recorded a fan speed of 0 RPM. Then the CPU would heat up to about 70C, and the fan would spin up again...and so the cycle would progress. Today, the CPU fan's just sticking at around 2000RPM (about half it's normal speed) and the CPU temp keeps climbing till the failsafe kicks in (both according to SpeedFan, and my BIOS).

Any ideas?

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2.167 GHz)
    Fan: Spire 5R281B1H3-1 FireStar II™
    PSU: RAIDMAX 420W
    Motherboard: PC-Chips M848ALU
    Birds of a feather may fly together, but they'll all be killed with one stone.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Was the heatsink fan damaged at all when it was hitting against the heatsink?

Partie™

you may be able to replace just the fan, or you may need to replace the fan and heatsink together. Sounds like the fan bearings are bad which caused it to wobble and hit heatsink. Charlie

Default update

UPDATE:
    from what i can tell, the fan seems to be grazing a microscopic layer off the heatsink, but not enough that I think it's a problem.
    After letting it cool a bit earlier today, it's been running for the last hrs between 50-60C (according to SpeedFan and now Everest, too) so that's good. But when the fan speed gets anywhere below 3000RPM--especially if hit drops under 2000RPM, the buzzing/vibrating noise gets real bad. I hope the temps stay stable, but I'd really like the noise to go away. This used to be such a quiet computer (despite the 3 case fans, 2 PSU fans, GPU fan, and CPU fan...go figure).

I just want this thing to last a few more weeks till after finals so I can send it in to get the heatsink/fan to be replaced under the warranty.

Any suggestions on how to stop or fix the vibration and/or make the temp stay the way it is now are welcome.

If it's under warranty i would not fool with any thing risk of violating it. You may have already by simply opening case not sure though.

Look at the fan and heatsink. If the fan is mounted with screws to the heatsink, I would remove the fan. Take it to the local computer store and see if you can find a replacement. It will probably be under $10. As long as you don't remove the heatsink, reinstallation is as simple as screwing in the new fan. The only way the fan can start hitting the heatsink after working properly would be bad bearings, a bent fan blade, or a loose fan mount. A new fan should fix any of that.

charlie

Default update2

yeah...i feel like such a n00b.
    the fan is connected to the heatsink with screws, but there's a couple plastic bars separating the fan from the heatsink, so the fan can't possibly be hitting it.
    The scratches on the heatsink must have been there all along. ah well.
    So, i did another mini test: i turned the computer on and booted to the hardware monitor in BIOS, and the fan stayed at a steady 3000-3500RPM with a temp of 40-50C. After booting into Windows, however, it's been randomly fluctuating between 1200-3000RPM with temps from 49-60C. And again, when the fan speed drops below 2000RPM, something in the case makes a horrendously annoying vibrating noise--which, oddly enough, quites down when i tilt the whole case at random angles. I checked all the mobo screws, and they seem to be tight.
    Any ideas of where else I should look for loose, vibrating parts?
    Oh, and as far as I know, warranty is still valid. I'm hopefully gonna get all this fixed/replaced, but seeing as I need my computer till then, I was hoping for suggestions that would make the noise go away. It's kinda getting on my nerves...

Default Re: update2

Quote Originally Posted by okravetz
    I was hoping for suggestions that would make the noise go away. It's kinda getting on my nerves...
    $10.00 - $20.00 for a new fan will make the noise go away. Failure to do that could result in much more serious damage, to both the machine and your nerves.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Check all screws for all drives. CD drives can work screws loose.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.