Default Anonymity Software/Services

Hello !

I am wondering if using anonymity software on one's computer (and/or using anonymity services online) would give an extra layer of protection against hackers, spyware, malware, etc. Or is it just a resource hog that is over-rated and unnecessary ?

Thanks !

Scott

From what i see it offers no protection and say's it allows you to surf anonymously:
    Ways to keep your computer safe:

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Pro...Hijackers.html

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Nothing takes the palce of having security right on your own system.
    As for so called anonymous sites well they know who you are.
    Zone Alarm offers to hide the last digit of your IP. That is as good as anon.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Default Anonymity Software/Services

Hello !

Thanks for the comments !

Just for the heck of it, I decided to download the trial version of GhostSurf 2005. Didn't do didley to hide my IP. (I went to www.primedius.com/ip to test things.) I also tried JAP, but couldn't get it set up properly. The instructions were a bit confusing to my dimwitted brain.

Then I downloaded the free Proxyway software. Once I found a "highly anonymous" server and tested things (at primedius), my IP was hidden (the proxy server being displayed in the primedius test). Then I used Proxyway to access an anonymous webproxy (www.proxify.com was one). The primedius test then showed proxify's server's IP.

Being a novice, I don't know how much of my own computer information is getting through the cracks in these tests. I do know that it's an awful lot of trouble to go to be anonymous. I uninstalled everything. But at least I found that if I have a way to be as anonymous as I can (in my limited knowledge).

Thanks again !

Scott