Default Two different apps. freeze but cannot be shut down with task

So this problem started even after i bought this pc right out of the box. some of the stuff i dled then and there were all clean. like mirc, firefox, yahoo messenger, etc. i mean as clean as i know they are? anyway, at first msn messeger would freeze up at random times. when i tried to close it the end now pop up would come up. but it wouldn't work. i did try to wait it out once. about 3 hours and nothing. every time this happened it was so annoying. no matter how many times i tried the end now dialog it wouldn't work. same think with task manager. first i tried in the applications window. then in the processes. it wouldn't work. the only way to get msn off was to log off or reboot. a few months ago mirc started doing the same thing! its so frackin' annoying. i bought this thing 4~5 months ago. i would of asked for help sooner but i thought it would go away. also it can't be spywear or viruses. it started fresh out of the box... plus, i already did the whole lot, i used your detective thing, the spyware removal guide, and my norton. well i think thats all of it.

Windows xp home sp2 fully updated

What is the size of the hard drive and how much free space is left? How much RAM (random access memory) does the computer have?
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

free space: 2.33 out of 37.7 and i have 256 but 34 of it is shared with the onboard video.

Hi - You need to have a good clear out of any unwanted programmes, files, photos etc. and defragment your hard-drive.
    Programmes can be removed by - 'Start'>'Control Panel'>Double click 'Add/Remove Programmes'. There may not be any programmes that you want to remove but it's worth a look to see if there's anything there you have forgotten about and might want to remove.
    Clear Internet Explorer temp files. To do this - Open IE>'Tools' (top toolbar)>'Internet Options'> Under the heading 'Temporary Internet Files', 'Delete Files'. You can also 'Delete Cookies' but any Username/Passwords you have for different sites will be removed also. You may prefer to leave the 'cookies' as is.
    After you have removed all unwanted files etc defragment your hard drive by - 'Start'>'All Programs'>'Accesories'>'System Tools'>'Disc Defragmenter'>'Defragement'.
    Reduce the size of 'System Restore'. This is usually set at 12% but 6% will do. To do this - 'Start'>'All Programs'>'Accesories'>'System Tools'>'System Restore'. On the left habd side of 'System Restore' window click on 'System Restore Settings'. Move the slider bar to 6% and click on 'Apply'.
    Also, you may want to consider some more memory (RAM). 256 is not ideal for XP, 512 would be better. You can go to the link below and scan your system for the type of memory you have and a suitable upgrade. This will give you some idea of the cost involved. You would also need to factor in the cost of fitting additional RAM if you cannot do it yourself.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/promo/inde...n_radio_london
    Try all the above and let us know how this affects the hard drive space. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

well i did everything except the ram. i know i need more. thing is i used windows xp pro with 256 before and this never happened. that pc wasn't even ghz. anyway thanks for trying. i guess i'll have to wait and see. maybe it wont happen but i will use the link to see what i might need. thanks again. hopefully i wont be replying within the next week or so. :")

Your biggest problem is lack of free space on hard drive. You need at least 10% free, 20% better. For that hard drive to function properly, you should have at least 5gb free, 7gb better. With only 256ram, XP will use virtual memory often which will slow you down in the best case scenario. Virtual memory is on the hard drive, so if the hard drive is almost full, the computer can freeze when it tries to use virtual memory. you are correct that XP can run on 256, but everything else needs to be good. 256mb of RAM should only cost about $25 and it is the best bang for your buck.

The best thing you can do is add 256mb of memory AND free up at least 4GB of space on the hard drive. If you can't free up the space, it is time for a second hard drive. Move any music, photos and documents to the new drive.

Charlie

thanks charlie. ok so i did all that stuff and haven't noticed a problem with those apps. so that helped. i also cleared out space. thanks for the help guys.