Default HELP! C:\windows\system32\config\system MAYHEM!

Sup all!

I've been having a big problem with an error that at first said "C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt...press "r" to start repair...etc" ever since my little brother removed the plug which improperly shut down the computer. So I followed Microsoft's advice:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

But into the 11th line of the 1st Part At the Recovery Console command prompt, I typed the following line:

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

And it said that the file could not be found.

Then I tried following another website and all it did was create two profiles when restarting the computer :

"Windows XP Home Edition" and "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

Then at last I followed Help2Go's article:

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Win...r_corrupt.html

And the "You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair." screen....disapeared. And it actually went to the Windows Logo Screen...for the first time. So I thought everything went well...till a black/blank screen just stays there...frozen. I first thought it was gonna load the start bar and all my precious data...but NO. I tried retrying Help2Go's tutorial so I could go to a last week's restore point rather than yesterdays... but it now says I need an administrator password (which I never implemented and I tried pressing ENTER) :?.

So I figured mabe I should try Safe Mode...so I restarted and went through Safe Mode...and it'll give me all the lines on the screen (which usually happens when going through safe mode)....but unfortunately it'll just FREEZE once again. Even if I go through the other options like 'Last Known Good Configuration" or "Start Windows Normally" it'll still freeze after the Windows Logo Loading Screen...and present me with black screen of EVIL (which is basically a blank screen). :evil:

I really don't feel like reformatting the computer (and even if that was my only option...I need help on how to do that since the computer is even more messed up) so ... Any help is appreciated!

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't know what else to tell you this sounds like a bad accident on the belt way at rush hour here's a link for your reformat procedure sounds like best bet you can't get in safe mode you don't have admin pass code,Pulling plugs on computers at the wrong time can result in difficulties, at this juncture i don't think you can back up anything......

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp

Others may reply... main thing is booting from cd rom and that is explained.

Member Help2Go Moderator

When going into safemode. At the screen where the computer freezes what is the last file listed?

Partieā„¢

PartieHonteuse,

The last file I see on the safe mode screen:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

Zep,

Thanks for the instructions. I'll wait for more responses though because I really don't want to reformat it. But if I have to... I'm going to have to find me the CD Key because I can't find it. :shock:

Any more help is appreciated.

Search (Mup.sys) on google good luck lot of different problems associated with it freezing there. Some folks have removed all or some usb devices an got system to boot.

Default HELP! C:\windows\system32\config\system MAYHEM!

I've had this issue occur on various machines about 5 times. It just happened again yesterday on a year-old Dell laptop.
    The ONLY way I have ever effected a fix was to pull the drive, attach it as a secondary or slave in an already set up XP box, and search for whatever happened to the config folder. This last time, the name of the folder had turned to garbage. The folder contents were intact though, and it all came back after renaming the folder "config".
    This same fix worked on all but two instances of this problem. Those two times I tried recovering Microsoft's way and from the restore folders, but ended up having to re-install the OS.

Thanks for that i have searched the problem for Houdinez and each time something different has been done to overcome issue.

Thank you all for your responses. I couldn't take it anymore and shot the horse sorta speak. I basically reformatted the computer (thanks to Zep). But now I'm trying to get all the drivers updated...but I can't connect to the internet because my internal modem and broadband modem need to be updated :? . Not too sure on what to do. :?:

I think I'll just download the necessary drivers on this laptop and transfer it via memory stick to the main computer.