Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Sound!!!

Default No Sound!!!

We have had the problem of "no sound" for about 7 months (managed to live without it as we had other problems & wasn't a priority) since our local PC Doctor sorted out some other problems.
    Anyway we didn't realise it was their fault until it was too late as they are no longer in business.
    Is the problem with the software or hardware?
    I have fitted a new PC Line 5.1 Channel Soundcard but when I try to load the software a message comes up saying "Cannot find Audio Chip" and have done this with and without the old sound card fitted.
    To be honest I don't really have a clue, so if anyone could help I would be very grateful.
    Thanks
    MCBGJ

Hi - Firstly -
    Go - 'Start'>'Run'>Type in dxdiag and click 'OK'. This opens the DirectX Diagnostics. On the first 'System' page will be a list of details. At the bottom of the list should be your version of DirectX, it should be 9.0c. If it isn't 9.0c then go to the link below and download and install it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Does this fix things? No?. Then read on.

Is this a replacement sound card or a new installation? If new, you may need to disable the onboard sound through the BIOS. To do this -
    Turn off the PC and turn it on again. As it boots tap the Delete key, this will take you into the BIOS. At the bottom of the BIOS will be navigation details - Basically up/down/left/right arrows, Enter and Escape.
    From the menu, using up/down arrows, select 'Integrated Peripherals' and then 'Enter'. You should have an option to 'enable/disable' onboard sound (you may need to select another option from the 'Integrated Peripherals' menu to find the relevant onboard sound option. You will probably need to use left/right arrow keys to enable/disable the onboard sound. When you have selected 'disable onboard sound', follow the instructions at the bottom of the BIOS page to 'Exit Saving Changes'. The PC will then boot normally. See if this makes any difference. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks for your response, the Direct X is 9.0c, so I went into the start menu but it went into the CMOS Setup not BIOS and I couldn't see Integrated Peripheral, so I thought I must being doing something wrong.
    I look forward to your further assistance.
    Thanks
    MSBGJ

Hi - Did you keep tapping 'Delete' as the PC boots? If not give it another try. If this still doesn't work -

Download and run this free program, it will produce a report giving details of your PC.
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    Under the heading 'Main Circuit Board' will be details of your BIOS.
    When you have these details from the Belarc report go to this link -
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    and it will give you the keystroke(s) required to access your BIOS.
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Well, your suggestions confirmed that access to BIOS during re-boot was via the delete key like you said from the beginning but even after tapping the key (and trying on a few occassions) it still goes into the CMOS setup as before.
    Please do you have any more suggestions?
    Thanks
    MSBGJ

Hi - Do you have any documentation for your Motherboard that gives Make/Model number?
    How confident are you about rooting around inside your PC?
    Are you happy to at least remove the cover? If so, and you have no documentation, remove the cover and look on the motherboard for a reference number. Regards.

Hi, I have a user manual which on the front states "PC DDR 333 System Board Socket A M863 series"" and on the actual board itself it states "M863G".
    I hope this helps.
    Regards
    MSBGJ

Hi - Go to CMOS and make a note of all settings, write them down.

Download the manual here - Select ‘USA’ from the drop-down menu and download and save the file to your desktop.
    http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Pro...ailName=Manual

Scroll down to page 11 where it says - JP2: Clear CMOS Jumper.
    Switch off the PC at the wall socket. Touch a bare metal part of the chassis to discharge any static you may be carrying. Disconnect all power to the motherboard.
    Note from the diagram which is pin 1. There should be a ‘jumper’ across pins 2 and 3. All you will probably see is a very small rectangle of plastic. Pull this jumper off, you may need a small pair of tweezers for this, and move it onto pins 1 and 2 for several seconds. This will clear the CMOS settings. Take the jumper off pins 1 and 2 and refit it onto pins 2 and 3. Reconnect the power to the motherboard and switch on the PC and try to access the BIOS.
    Regards.

Thanks for this, I'm out with work for the next couple of days so I thought I'd give the children a chance to use the computer un-interupted in the evenings for a change and give your suggestion a go at the end of the week.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again.
    MSBGJ

This site can be helpful for basic sound issues in xp i am posting so you have additional infomation on the subject there may not be a solution here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast