Default Computer Does Not Boot!!!

What have I done!!!!!!
    To cut a long story short my computer is powered by 2800MHz AMD Athlon Processor but the DX Diagnostic says 1.3GHz, so I decided to have a look at the processor to see if either an ex colleague in our IT dept (who built the computer for us) had lied or if a PC Doctor who repaired it some months ago took advantage of us.
    I know it seems paranoid but I've had a few problems in recent months and I think I might be becoming a little irrational.
    Anyway, guess what, it was a 2800MHz processor, which raises the question why does it thinks it's a 1300MHz processor, which will need to be dealt with later bearing in mind that when I put the processor back (properly inline with the System Board Manual), refitted the fan and restarted the computer it WILL NOT BOOT.
    It sound like it's trying to but but nothing comes up on the monitor and the indicator light on the monitor off switch keeps flashing.
    Your help will most appreciated.
    Thanks
    MSBGJ
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...................

Member Help2Go Moderator

reseat the processor and make sure (if you have it) that the processor power connector is plugged into the motherboard. It'll be 2x2 square connector with 2 yellow and 2 black wires. Also, make sure that there's an adequate amount of thermal paste on the processor since you pulled the heatsink off.

Partieā„¢

I second Partie's mention of thermal paste. You must use new thermal paste after taking it apart. It will overheat in a matter of seconds and shut down to keep it from being damaged. As far as the wrong reading goes, two possible causes- probably both. First, AMD doesn't name their processors by actual speed- a 2800 processor doesn't run at 2800mhz. It runs like an Intel 2800 mhz processor. It should actually run somewhere a little over 2000mhz. The rest of the problem is probably because your front side bus speed it set too low. Do a google search for your processor to verify what the front side bus speed should be, probably 166 or 200 (DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT- MAKE SURE). Now check your computer BIOS to see what your front side bus speed is- it is probably set at 100 or 133. Some motherboards can be changed from the BIOS, others are changed by jumpers on the motherboard. Charlie

Thanks guys, I'll get some paste, reseat the processor and check the connector and let you know how it goes.
    Another point which I didn't mention before is that when it's trying to boot I can't switch it off I have to actually remove the power socket. I don't know if this is relevant but just in case thought I should mention it.
    Regards
    MSBGJ

Absolutely spot on!!!!!
    The connector had come out, so I put it back in and reset the processor using paste and everything is back to normal.
    Thanks a lot guys, your help is really appreciated.

With reference to the speed thing I have checked a couple of web sites and the best one gave 3 choices for Bus Speed at 266MHz effective 133 MHz actual or 333MHz effective 166MHz actual or 400MHz effective 200MHz actual, so I'm not really sure on this.

I've also checked the set up and gone into CPU PnP Setup which seems to be the only page that is close to what you might be talking about and this states the following:-
    CPU Frequency set at 100MHz with the option to change to 133 or 166.
    Auto DRAM Clock - Enabled, with the option to disable.
    DRAM Frequency 166MHz with no option to alter.

If you can help further that would be great.

Thanks

MSBGJ

With a little math, I come up with this- 2100(speed it should run at)/1300(speed it is running at)=1.6

100(current side bus)x1.6=160 (use 166- what the front side bus needs to be to get the CPU to 2100

Try changing it to 133 first and see what happens. That should change the CPU speed to around 1690mhz (1.69Ghz). If all seems well, go back into the bios and change to 166, that should get you to around 2100mhz(2.1Ghz) which is where you should be.

Charlie

Thank you very much we now have a computer running at 2.1GHz.
    Your help with both problems is really appreciated.
    Thanks again.
    MSBGJ

Glad we could help. Charlie