Default Hard Drive Thinks it is Wrong Size?

My computer crashed. I had a SAMSUNG SP0822N hard drive, 80 GB, with 3 partitions on it. The first was my OS partition, 2nd was Applications, and 3rd was Data. Apparently, after removing Norton Internet Security, coincidentally, the drive's first partition with windows became "corrupted" and unable to read. I tried to reinstall windows, but it stated I needed to reformat that partition to install it first.

I know how to recover lost data in cases like this, so I got a new hard drive, another SAMSUNG, but a 300 GB drive (HD300LD), which I partitioned into 2 partitions this time. I put the old one as a slave to my DVD drive and the other hard drive (A MAXTOR) I left as a slave to the first (is that confusing?)

Well, now that I set up Windows XP Pro all over again, I am ready to recover the software from the damaged drive. I used a bunch of recovery tools and bad sector fixers, but the problem now is, my BIOS and my OS all think the drive is only 31 GB in size!! It should be 80! I recovered all 31 GB of the data I could, but I really need access to the last part of the drive to get some VERY important data -> I work a business from home, and also I've stored all my digital photos and my writings!!

The recovery software sees all of partition 1 and part of partition 2, but NONE of partition 3, since that is all past the 31 GB mark.

Now, why would my BIOS and my OS think the drive is the wrong size all of a sudden? It was OK until I put in the new hard drive and rearranged the IDE devices. I was very careful and everything is properly jumpered.

Once I can get the drive to recognize its REAL size, I can easily recover the data using some recovery tools. But HOW to set the real size of the drive? Could I manually set it up in my BIOS somehow? Is this physical damage to the drive? I didn't drop it or do any harm to it... the drive is ONLY 6 months old.

Any advice? My system stats are in my signature if that helps :-)

Member Help2Go Moderator

know how to recover lost data in cases like this, so I got a new hard drive, another SAMSUNG, but a 300 GB drive (HD300LD), which I partitioned into 2 partitions this time. I put the old one as a slave to my DVD drive and the other hard drive (A MAXTOR) I left as a slave to the first (is that confusing?)
    ...yep

Just recheck your jumpers. It would actually make sense if jumper settings are incorrect especially going by your 2nd post about only being able to boot windows when CD is inserted.

Partieā„¢