Default Windows Crashes Unless CD is in drive?

Here is another weird problem I've been having.

I got a new hard drive and installed a fresh copy of windows from my usual Windows XP Pro CDROM. Everything went just peachy fine.

Then I noticed, even after updating all the windows software and getting SP1 and SP2 and all the security updates, windows will NOT load unless the following conditions are met:

1) In my BIOS, i must select CDROM as my first boot device.
    2) I must have my windows XP installation CD in the drive
    3) When it asks "Boot from CDROM? ..." it counts down 5 seconds and I don't do anything but let it time itself out and continue to load without booting from the CD (IF I did boot from the CDROM, I'd enter windows setup)

Now if ALL THREE of those conditions are met, I can get to the windows user login screen and login just fine and run windows and work and do everything. install programs, apps, everything.

The odd symptoms are, when I get back into Windows and try to open Firefox (my browser) it asks "Firefox wasn't properly shut down, do you wish to restore its current window status" or "start a new window" choice. This is peculiar, since I didn't shut down windows improperly -- I went to Windows->Start->Turn Off Computer->Reboot. Or I let software installations reboot it.

But that makes me think maybe when windows is shutting down, it is not closing itself properly, causing the next time for it to boot, to have an error.

If ANY of those 3 conditions are NOT met, just any one of them, it will first say Windows did not shut down properly. How do you want to proceed?
    Safe mode (etc)
    Last known good configuration
    Load windows normally

I can choose ANY of those and then it will start to load windows but quickly flash an error screen -- blue screen of death -- and immediately reboot. It will go into an endless loop if I leave the room and let it. I can't get into sage mode at all. UNLESS THE CD is in the drive! Isn't that peculiar? I am not even booting from it!!!

Any ideas? I've tried reinstalling windows many times, with no luck to changing this. I've used this CDROM for many years now on systems with no problem. This is the first time I've ever come across this.

I am so confused!!

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

I would have to blame the SP1 and SP2 patches.
    Did you use Microsoft's Update or did you use previously downloaded copies of SP1 and 2
    You would have been better off making a clean install then rely on Windows to apply the updates through the Auto Update.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I formatted the hard drive and did a fresh clean install using the CD. I allowed the windows update to apply the patches. I applied every patch since then that it downloads using its own download/installer.

That is why I am confused. I used to be a computer technician and a help desk person, so I have built a lot of machines from scratch. I've always built my own machines. This is why this bothers me so much!

I formatted NTFS, installed it, and it never was able to boot since then. Windows update found the updates and installed them. These weren't previous downloads.

So now what? I've run every patch, update, and security patch there is. And it still will not boot without the CD in the drive.

Don't you think it is odd, considering that I am not actually BOOTING from the CDROM? I only am asking it to check the CDROM as its first boot device, but am ignoring the question whether to boot from it or not. So it isn't actually booting from the CD at all. It just needs to be in the drive. What files is it looking for ? There HAS to be a fix for this.

This just makes NO SENSE!!!

Check the boot.ini there may be something there such as XP setup. If so edit the boot.ini file to boot directly to Windows XP. For more information see the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.