Default Nonextant networking

Never seen this one before. Got three laptops, which for convenience's sake I will call Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie. Alpha is a good, hardworking Toshiba Satellite, 2.66GHz Intel Celeron CPU system running WinXP Home with 192 MB of available RAM and many gigs more HD space than it will ever see used, and it goes through a "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC" for its networking stuff (with onboard wireless that has been disabled both by a hardware switch on the side of the terminal as well as through Control Panel disabling). Bravo and Charlie are more or less clones of eachother, being Dell Latitude systems each with a 1.08 GHz processor, 256MB of RAM, Windows XP Pro, HD space above and beyond their calls, and which network through hardware listed as "3COM 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX compatible)."

For those just tuning in, this is the weird part. I can use a crossover ethernet cable to link Alpha to Bravo, and they talk just fine. I can use the same crossover cable to link Alpha to Charlie, and all's well. But Bravo refuses to talk with Charlie--with the same cable, different cable, it matters not. I can't figure out why two XP pro systems wouldn't talk to eachother where they would talk to an XP home system, when all terminals involved are on administrator-priviledged accounts (not the wisest option, I know, but the folks that bought 'em get the final say on that one). Am I missing some terribly obvious thing?
    "It's everywhere, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, but the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." ---Unknown Armies

Afterthought, and I should have specified: When I say they 'refused to talk,' I mean they didn't even acknowledge that the cable was hooked up. No LED at the port as usually happens when a connection is established, and the balloon tips in the tray did not acknowledge a connection's presence, and the "Network Connections" bit in Control Panel had that particular connection method Red-X'd out. I might as well have tried to tie them together with twine instead of CAT5.
    "It's everywhere, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, but the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." ---Unknown Armies

Bugged a friend about this, too--he suggested (after checking to make sure Bravo and Charlie's service pack update statuses were identical--they are, having installed no service packs past the normal 2002 edition of XP pro) checking the subnet IPs to make sure there's no conflict, or any weird nicknaming thing going on. And indeed, Bravo and Charlie have different computer names and different subnet IPs. Dead end there. Ideas?

In case anyone was worried about this, it seems to have cleared up on its own. Might be the connectors inside the terminals are loose, might be something further inside being a little wonky. Further tests may be necessary, but the problem, such as it stands, seems to be resolved as far as this board is concerned. This has been your extended soliloquy for the week!

Thanks for letting us know your problem is resolved. I wish all computer problems we see here at Help2Go were that easy to fix. :wink:
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.