Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem with MS Outlook replies

I must have done something with MS Outlook by accident and wonder if someone could advise please.

When I press 'reply' to reply to an incoming mail, the header reference (from; to; subject) and the footer of the incoming mail is on the new page, but the contents and any history have strangely disappeared.

Any ideas please?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

In Outlook > Tools > Options > Preferences tab > click E-Mail Options button > in the section 'On Replies and Forwards" in the first drop down, set to 'Include and indent origional message text' and in the second drop down select 'Include origional massage text' > OK > OK. This should set it up for you. Keep us posted.

Thanks Canuck

I checked that, and my settings were as you posted.
    Upon checking further, the problem isn't with all mail. With some replies appear ok, and with others - not the same addresses - I get the problem.

Any further ideas please?

Might the ones that aren't working, coming in, in Rich Text or Plain Text and not in HTML format? Just a thought.

Canuck,

Here's the inexperience showing - how do I tell, and would this cause this to happen?

If you open an e-mail > File > Properties it should show you file type HTML or Rich Text or Plain Text. These are different formats you can get, depending on which format the sender uses. Most often it's HTML. This is only a guess, mind you. Others may have thoughts on this too.

No, I just sent myself a plain text message and it worked fine on the reply. Stay tuned, others may come up with something.

Hi again Canuck

I just checked, and all of my 'problematic' mails were html.
    The content was missing as stated above, but on one the content was really spaced out between paragraphs - really strange?

Do the 'problematic' e-mails have anything in common? From same person, have attachments, are they spam etc?

Yes, on checking today, I've narrowed it down to just the one person who'se mail is 'problematic', and this is from a commercial system rather than private, and does not contain attachments etc.
    The other problem with spaced out para's seems to have disappeared.

I would suggest that the problem is at that one person's end, and not yours. Some way they've set up their e-mail program. Glad the para problem is ok now. I don't think there is more we can do on this. You could perhaps contact that person and let them know the situation, but it may be by design that it functions the way it does.

Let us know if there is anything further we can do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast